Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   ideas for a 10 gallon... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ideas-10-gallon-47429/)

brandelion 07-19-2010 02:02 PM

ideas for a 10 gallon...

ok so I had bought a 10 gallon for $5 at a flea market a few months ago which I had intended to keep my betta and possibly something else that didn't absolutely HAVE to have filtration just so the betta wouldn't be rattling about in such a huge house all by his lonesome

but I soon realized 10 gallons unfiltered looks pretty unsightly pretty quickly!!

before I got him any friends I priced the hood/filter/light etc. for the 10 gallon and wound up putting the betta back into his 2 gallon brandy glass/bowl (he has since died... maybe too much moving around) - anyway...

the price of all the stuff I needed wasn't far off from what I'd need for a larger tank, so I went ahead and got a 20 gallon which I've been dealing with for a month or so

but I'm seriously considering getting a new/better filter for the 20 gallon - I suppose I could just keep the current filter on the 20 as extra fitration - OR I could use it on the 10 which has just been sitting here collecting dust

I'm trying to think of something interesting to do with it before it winds up at the end of my driveway with a FREE sign on it

obviously I'm pretty limited with it being so small - but there has to be SOMETHING I can do with it that wouldn't be a complete waste of money to run the thing

any ideas?

Castro235 07-19-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandelion (Post 426507)
ok so I had bought a 10 gallon for $5 at a flea market a few months ago which I had intended to keep my betta and possibly something else that didn't absolutely HAVE to have filtration just so the betta wouldn't be rattling about in such a huge house all by his lonesome

but I soon realized 10 gallons unfiltered looks pretty unsightly pretty quickly!!

before I got him any friends I priced the hood/filter/light etc. for the 10 gallon and wound up putting the betta back into his 2 gallon brandy glass/bowl (he has since died... maybe too much moving around) - anyway...

the price of all the stuff I needed wasn't far off from what I'd need for a larger tank, so I went ahead and got a 20 gallon which I've been dealing with for a month or so

but I'm seriously considering getting a new/better filter for the 20 gallon - I suppose I could just keep the current filter on the 20 as extra fitration - OR I could use it on the 10 which has just been sitting here collecting dust

I'm trying to think of something interesting to do with it before it winds up at the end of my driveway with a FREE sign on it

obviously I'm pretty limited with it being so small - but there has to be SOMETHING I can do with it that wouldn't be a complete waste of money to run the thing

any ideas?

Well, I have a 10 gallon right now with a small filter on it with 1 crayfish, and for the first month I had the crayfish in there with 0 filtration and it seemed to have been doing just fine, a crayfish may seem boring at first because theyre hiding all the time, but over time mine has become very active and out and about, I just have playsand and rocks in the tank, and some fake/live plants, but everything did come out of an established tank so that probably helped everything stay healthy.

Or you could also do a shrimp tank and have many shrimp in there, or even try breeding cherries on such, and just focus on water changes.

redchigh 07-19-2010 06:34 PM

If you put the filter on it, you have quite a few options.

What's your PH locally? I'll be able to suggest tons of ideas.

Or if you have a sunny window, you can do a soil substrate tank which doesn't need a filter at all.

brandelion 07-21-2010 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castro235 (Post 426670)
Well, I have a 10 gallon right now with a small filter on it with 1 crayfish, and for the first month I had the crayfish in there with 0 filtration and it seemed to have been doing just fine, a crayfish may seem boring at first because theyre hiding all the time, but over time mine has become very active and out and about, I just have playsand and rocks in the tank, and some fake/live plants, but everything did come out of an established tank so that probably helped everything stay healthy.

Or you could also do a shrimp tank and have many shrimp in there, or even try breeding cherries on such, and just focus on water changes.

I hadn't thought of a crayfish - that might be cool
when I first met my husband we were about 15 - I went over to his house one day and he had caught a HUGE crayfish in the swamp near their house - I thought it was the creepiest coolest looking thing haaa

brandelion 07-21-2010 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 426674)
If you put the filter on it, you have quite a few options.

What's your PH locally? I'll be able to suggest tons of ideas.

Or if you have a sunny window, you can do a soil substrate tank which doesn't need a filter at all.

the PH straight out of my tap is 8!!
I've been keeping an eye on my cycling aquarium and at last check it was 7.8

I don't have a sunny window near enough - in fact I'm pretty limited for space... I'd pretty much be stuck with one corner of my living room I could put this is in... and it's pretty dark over there

thoughts I was having are: african dwarf frogs - or some guppies - or transfer my one lonely cory in there and maybe get a nice betta - I've had decent luck with bettas in the past

but I'm open to pretty much anything...

while you're at it - I have a 20 gallon high that I'm getting ready to start adding fish to and I'm completely up in the air as to what to do in there:

it currently has that one cory I mentioned (there were 3 but the other two didn't survive the cycling process... thank you petco :/)

the most recent thoughts I've been having for that tank are: a handful of black neon tetras, a few platy and maybe round out the group of cories - I was hoping for a bristlenose pleco or a few otos but I think that would really be pushing it