Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   55g danios and corys with betta? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/55g-danios-corys-betta-47341/)

notromt 07-17-2010 11:20 AM

55g danios and corys with betta?

I have had a community tank setup before with danios, cherry barbs, and corys... so I know that they would do fine together. I'm looking for a "centerpiece" fish though and really think a betta would be awesome. A male betta specifically.

Here is my idea... a male betta, a school of danios (7-10), and a several corys (6). Would that work? Would the betta mess with the danios? or the danios mess with the betta?

If a male wouldn't work, what about a sorority of females (4 or 5)? Still with the danios and corys... how would that work out?

For inside the tank I have several large rocks creating tunnels and hiding places, as well as a lot of fake plants around the back and sides. I also have some aeration stones to help with circulation and decoration.

With either of those setups in a 55g tank, could I go with more corys/danios to fill the tank a bit more? Or is that a pretty good load on the tank?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... thanks.

kitten_penang 07-17-2010 11:36 AM

a male is only aggressive with another male betta so i think it will do fine with the cory's and danios.as he is larger then danios the danios wouldn't mess with him

jaysee 07-17-2010 11:39 AM

Danios can be nippy and may find the long flowing fins of the betta irresistable. I would have a backup plan incase it didn't work out.

notromt 07-17-2010 11:55 AM

Fin-nipping is definitely what I am worried about. I read a lot of conflicting info about bettas and danios together.

What if instead of a male betta, i put in 4 female bettas? Since they have less flowing fins, would the danios keep away?

If I had 4 female bettas, 8-10danios, and 6corys, would that be too crowded?

iamntbatman 07-18-2010 05:49 AM

In a 55g? No, I wouldn't say that's too crowded. In fact I'd recommend getting more than four females if you do try this, as stocking female bettas is similar to stocking mbuna: the more you crowd them, the less likely they are to gang up on one particular fish and stress it out or kill it. I've never tried to keep a betta with danios, but zebra danios in my experience have never been nippy. They are quite active, though, which could stress a nervous betta.

Tyyrlym 07-21-2010 01:26 PM

In this case I'd be more worried about the betta than the danios. My danios are active and very fast swimmers, far faster than I've ever seen my bettas swim. The main issue is the danios stressing the betta (dependant on how skittish the betta is) or fin nipping from the danios. I can't comment on the fin nipping because my danios don't live with any fish which would entice them to nip.

kitten_penang 07-21-2010 03:25 PM

thats weird i put florescent danios with my guppies =) they do nip but it's like playing tag with themselves

notromt 07-25-2010 06:51 PM

I guess I'll keep away from the betta in the 55g community then. I have a 10g I may have to set up then... or a 29g in the garage!

1077 07-26-2010 02:32 AM

Not much that swims ,faster at grabbing food than the danios. This would make feeding other surface feeder's a bit difficult for the danios would no doubt grab the lions share of food.
I might go with cherry barbs for some contrast in the tank as opposed to either male or female bettas.

fishyinpa 07-29-2010 12:39 PM

I have a 38 gallon with danios and female bettas. No problems. I would get more than 4 females as well. A large school of them would be awesome. I also have cories in the tank as well,nobody bothers them. I would just stay away from a male betta in with them.