Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Pearl Gourami?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/pearl-gourami-47301/)

Ghost15 07-16-2010 06:44 PM

Pearl Gourami??

so i have a 20g tank... and im not sure if i am going to do this.. right now it is just a thought.. but i was wondering if i would be able to add 1 pearl gourami?

i have 1 angelfish in the tank.. 2 cories.. and a couple danios.. if i added 1 pearl would that be too many fish??... would the gourami be aggressive toward my angelfish?

its just a thought...

kitten_penang 07-17-2010 06:07 AM

is the angelfish fully grown? how many danios is a couple?? guramis are aggressive only if they are both males that haven't been brought up together in the same tank.

Byron 07-17-2010 01:14 PM

In my view the answer is a definite "no." Pearl Gourami are territorial, as is the Angelfish. They are too much "alike" and will see each other as "enemies." Please have a read of the profile of both fish on our site, you can go to profiles by clicking the second tab from the left in the blue bar at the top, or click on shaded names of the fish in posts.

Our profiles give info on tank size and suitable companions among other important things. On this I must mention that a 20g is not sufficient space for an angelfish. These fish grow to 6+ inches in length, and fish grow all their lives so they need adequate space from the start. Also, angels are shoaling fish, meaning they occur in groups. TO be healthy, they should be maintained either in a group (4 minimum, preferably more) or as a mated pair. A 20g is not sufficient size for either option.

Corydoras are also shoaling fish that should be in a group of 5, although 3 is the minimum. They have a social structure within their group, plus they feel "safe" the more there are. I would consider adding a couple more corys. The angelfish I suggest should be moved to a larger tank with companions, or perhaps the fish store will exchange it. Many reputable stores will, they know we all get ourselves into these predicaments. Sadly some stores don't help with useful accurate information either.

Byron.

kitten_penang 07-19-2010 03:58 PM

according to my book by simon & schuster's
biology of pearl gurami: lively,very peaceable.Occasionally anxious and shy.
social life: non aggressive even in the teretorial phase.
* compatibiliy: do not keep with aggressive fishes

Byron 07-19-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 426621)
according to my book by simon & schuster's
biology of pearl gurami: lively,very peaceable.Occasionally anxious and shy.
social life: non aggressive even in the teretorial phase.
* compatibiliy: do not keep with aggressive fishes

The book is wrong. And while that is my opinion, my opinion is based on scientific research. If you have a read of our profile of this fish, it mentions under Compatibility and again under Description about this fish's temperament, behaviours and suitable tankmates, including nothing larger than itself as an angel would be. And yes, I wrote our profile; but in writing profiles I consult innumerable reputable sites and compile information, and I can assure you it generally agrees or I would specifically note differences so as not to mislead anyone. If I do offer my own opinions in a profile, it is likely based on my personal experience with the fish and I would say that so it is clear that it is my view as opposed to a scientific given.

Byron.

kitten_penang 07-20-2010 10:21 AM

oh dear how can this be.people actually pay for the wrong info =s

Byron 07-21-2010 01:15 PM

Anyone can write a book; and some publishers seem willing to publish anything. But one can't really blame them, as scientists can often be wrong too. But when one has a majority concensus, I tend to accept that as more reliable.

kitten_penang 07-21-2010 03:27 PM

hmm.. that does make sence.sometimes the book can be writen in the old days and the info can be a bit outdated.plus the fish now a day are breed in fisheries and not from the wild.they must have lost some of their natural instincts.

Byron 07-21-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 428280)
hmm.. that does make sence.sometimes the book can be writen in the old days and the info can be a bit outdated.plus the fish now a day are breed in fisheries and not from the wild.they must have lost some of their natural instincts.

I can't be certain on the last point, but I would tend to suspect not. Breeding them in tanks is not the same as domesticating dogs. The fish still carry their DNA blueprint. They may adapt somewhat to differing water parameters over time but their instinct to be dominant or submissive I suspect does not change. It is still true that these instincts can be high or low from individual fish to individual fish, and that certain environmental things can cause the instincts to heighten. But I suspect again that the instincts are still there, latent or active.

Much the same as those who "tame" a wild animal like a bear or cougar. Yes, the bear or cougar if raised from infancy with a human may be "friendly" but the animal may decide to bite off the hand that feeds it because it has a natural instinct to be "in charge" of its domain. Just as we read of whales in public aquaria that suddenly kill a trainer. The animal is still the way nature made it, no matter what we may think we do to "improve" it.

Inga 07-21-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 426647)
The book is wrong. And while that is my opinion, my opinion is based on scientific research. If you have a read of our profile of this fish, it mentions under Compatibility and again under Description about this fish's temperament

Byron.

And this is where the problem come in for me. Too many different writer's of descriptions of fish care/temperament etc... This is why when they show me some literature at the fish store, I believed it and purchased fish that are now not suitable to live together.

I know nothing of Pearl Gourami but if they are anything like Gold or Blue, I would say... Believe what Byron is saying. They do NOT get along. Maybe some odd individuals will but not all of them will.