Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Info on Spotted Climbing Perch (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/info-spotted-climbing-perch-47269/)

scp2 07-16-2010 11:50 AM

Info on Spotted Climbing Perch

I have two Spotted Climbing Perch. I recently figured out there real name, and had previously been calling them spotted african leaf fish. Anyways, I've had them for almost a year, they are both roughly 4-5 inches long. I cannot find alot of info on them so I was wondering if anybody here had experience with them. I'm mainly curious about their personality. The LFS said they were aggressive and aside from two of my angels going missing (pretty sure they were eaten by the SCP) they spend their days hiding in a house thats in the tank. They are very skittish, I haven't even been able to get a good enough look to see what sex they are. Everything Ive found online says they are very outgoing (what little there is) but I hardly ever see mine. They come out to eat maybe swim for a few minutes, and thats all I see of them. Just wondering what everyone else's dealings with these fish are. Anyone know how to get them to be more active? Thanks for the help! :lol:

jaysee 07-16-2010 01:03 PM

They're also called leopard bushfish, but real name is ctenopoma. Mine is also that big, but is very outgoing. It ended up being too aggressive for my african knife in a 55 gallon, so it's currently in a 20 while I figure out what to do with it. It's A LOT more outgoing in the larger tank, and does nothing but hide in the cave in the 20.

scp2 07-16-2010 01:26 PM

Mine are in a 75 gallon with several angels and gouramis, and are far from aggressive. They are not outgoing at all. they hide all day. When they do come out they dont interact in any way with the other fish. they are extremely skittish. I was just wondering how other peoples fish act. Thanks!

Byron 07-17-2010 01:18 PM

This fish Ctenopoma acutirostre is in our fish profiles, second tab from left in the blue bar at the top, or click on the fish name if shaded in posts. There is some info in this particular profile, more will be added in the near future as we are increasing our profiles one by one.

jeaninel 07-17-2010 03:22 PM

Mine is about 6" and in a 55 gallon with a pair of Pearl Gouramis, 7 Congo Tetra and a Pleco. She (not sure of the sex) is a bit reclusive but will come out to me if I walk up to the tank and will eat pellets from my hand. She gets along fine with the other fish...not aggressive.

jaysee 07-18-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 425534)
Mine is about 6" and in a 55 gallon with a pair of Pearl Gouramis, 7 Congo Tetra and a Pleco. She (not sure of the sex) is a bit reclusive but will come out to me if I walk up to the tank and will eat pellets from my hand. She gets along fine with the other fish...not aggressive.

Maybe it's the knife fish, cause that's the only issue I had with it. I had to choose 1, and the knife is WAY cooler.

Bluetangclan 07-20-2010 10:33 AM

Had one of these for going on 8 years. Cool fish, one of my favorite freshwater fish by far. They are predatory but once they are fully acclimatized to eating normal fish fare and get lazy they wont mess with anything. Like most ambush predators in my experience they are not very aggressive, in fact these guys are quite passive and while I have never seen one bullied, faster moving fish can easily outcompete them for food. They once fully acclimatized are very hardy fish and tough as nails. Mine I bought as a special order from my old LFS back when they were kinda newish to the scene, he came in with a few others and even had a broken jaw so even today the upper and lower jaw are off. he survived and has the name Snaggletooth. That said they can be fragile fish at first and make sure you put them in a well established tank. I have noticed older ones tend to get cloudy eyes as they age. There are several animals in nature whose bodies start to decline once they have gotten past their prime. Possums for example go cross eyed when they outlive their in the wild life expectancy. Snaggle is still going strong in a tank full of African cichlids. Also they do not keep their cool white and black polka dot scheme, thats a juvenile scheme and the white will turn into a dark olive green color and they do not look that attractive to be honest.

All in all, get a few at once, feed high quality meaty food, dont have aggressive tankmates, keep the water quality high at least in the beginning, lots of hiding places are a must, planted tanks are perfect.