Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   The right snail (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/right-snail-4725/)

fish_4_all 04-03-2007 12:31 PM

The right snail

I want to find out how to find the right snail. I am looking for the species that lays their eggs above the water line in those orangish masses that can be easily removed. I want to hatch the eggs and use them to feed my Skunk botia loaches but I don't want to have a ton of snails in the main tank which is why i want to find the right ones.

Does anyone know how to identify the right snail form the numerous mystery snails that my LFS and Walmart carries? I believe the right species is Pomacea bridgesii but neither one has the scientific names, assuming the name is even the right one.

And please don't tell me that only apple snails will do this because they have been banned completely here. I hope there are others so I don't have to go with Colombian Ramshorns again. I just want a snail this easy to remove the eggs and hatch them for loach food. Yes, the ramshorns were fairly easy but I always missed a few and I had a tank full of them.

Sleepy 04-03-2007 01:19 PM

Do you mean those ? :D

http://www.fishforum.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=403

However, Pomacea bridgesii, canaliculata and paludosa will lay their eggs outside of the water but I would prefer the bridgesi or canaliculata because the paludosa likes to lay the eggs on emerging vegetation.

Btw. I just added a few pics of my snails. :)

fish_4_all 04-03-2007 01:33 PM

That is the kind of snail I have seen that does it but they are all apple snails and I will never find them locally. I hope there are some that aren't apple snails that will lay their eggs above the waterline but it isn't looking good.

Sleepy 04-03-2007 01:44 PM

You´ve got pm.

bettababy 04-03-2007 01:45 PM

fish_4_all, give me time to do some research to see if there is another species option out there for you. The "mystery snails" that we see on the open market are a relative of the apple snail. While these snails do lay eggs above the water line, it can be quite a challenge to hatch them. The trick is to keep them moist without submerging them. Hatching mystery snail eggs is not as easy as hatching ram's horn eggs. I and a friend of mine have done it successfully, but it was not easy to keep the eggs in the right condition all the time. We had the most success with tightly covered tanks with air stones, water level dropped slightly from the top so the spray from the air stone bubbles kept the cover moist. We also kept the water in the tank heated, helping to create the needed humidity in between the closed cover and the water line. Even with the proper conditions, the hatch rate was low.

fish_4_all 04-03-2007 01:55 PM

I have read a lot about hatching them some really cool techniques to keep them mosit without submerging them. The best was to use a styrofoam ring covered with a cotton cloth. The ring is floating in the tank with the cloth in the water to act as a wick that keep moisture to the eggs but keeps them out of the water.

Is it any mystery snail that will do this or just specific ones?

Also, is it the same orange rubbery mass of eggs that I have seen so many times or are they a different type of cluster?

Trishfish 04-03-2007 07:48 PM

The angle/shoulders of the shell will show you the difference between different Pomacea. You can look at www.applesnail.net. Click on "species" and then scroll down for diagrams of shells.

I bought mine a while back off an online auction. PM me for more info if you'd like.

As for breeding, I've never had any trouble at all. My tank is set to 74 degrees and there must be the perfect amount of humidity for them to hatch well. For easy options you can look at rainbowsnails.com. (No www). Click on "enter the store" and then on "hatching clutches".

Hope this helps. I love my brigs! :)