Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   HELP!!! I am making a mess of my new plants (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/help-i-am-making-mess-my-47218/)

Inga 07-15-2010 05:23 PM

HELP!!! I am making a mess of my new plants

Why did I think this would be easy? I keep trying to plant my new plants and they keep floating back up. some of them are turning to mush in my hands. EEK!!!

LisaC144 07-15-2010 05:33 PM

Which plants are giving you a hard time? Maybe we can help. Also, how deep is your gravel? If you're planting something like Amazon Swords, the gravel in the back should be at least 3" to hold the plant in place.

Inga 07-15-2010 05:40 PM

Ok, I have a nice bunch of Rotala but some of it I just can't get it to stay in. A few stalks did so hopefully that will grow and be alright. I know it spreads. My Pennywort, I am clueless as to how to deal with that. The tiny little roots won't stay in at all. I have varying depths of gravel (got that from Lisa) ha ha

Also, Vallis is just liquifying in my hands. I hopefully got a tiny little bit to stay in.. Aaaahhh! Inga is NOT a green thumb. Planting is a 2 person job. My tank is too high to reach into it comfortably so that is part of the issue.

zof 07-15-2010 05:44 PM

Vals are a pain to plant, plain and simple, I'd just let the pennywort float at the top, or you can just dig the stem into the gravel until it holds, good luck it can be a pain.

Inga 07-15-2010 05:46 PM

Thanks, I have broken bits of plants floating all over my tank now. Then Tiger barbs are actually swimming UP onto the Pennywort which currently is floating. I think they are fancying laying out under the lights.

Inga 07-15-2010 06:32 PM

This is just embarrassing that I can't handle this.

well, I saved a few of the plants, hopefully they will take. I am hopeful that if the eco complete gets here soon, I can add a little around each of the plants and help keep them in. I will add some fertilizer tomorrow as well. I had to take some of the water out and add so there is Prime in there now. This is what I have so far, hopefully they will spread like wildfire.

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/t...wplants009.jpg
Note the retarded cord I used to hold the Java Fern on the Mopani wood. I was hoping it would blend. ha ha Yikes! I hope that IS the Java Fern, I was so confused through this.

If I let the Pennywort float for a few days will I ever be able to plant it? I would rather have at least some of it planted.

I will try to get a better picture once the sun goes down and I am not getting reflection from outside and once I wash the front of the tank off. Man did I make a mess.

Angel079 07-15-2010 06:40 PM

Inga you have got to pull that Rotala apart some it will not thrive this way. Take like 3-4 Stems hold them between your index finger & thumb and push it in the gravel that way they won't float back up on you. Same with the Pennywort...You could have just asked lol...Glad to hear they arrived thou.

Angel079 07-15-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 424365)
Note the retarded cord I used to hold the Java Fern on the Mopani wood. I was hoping it would blend. ha ha Yikes! I hope that IS the Java Fern, I was so confused through this.

Yes that is the Java Fern I send the picture of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 424365)
If I let the Pennywort float for a few days will I ever be able to plant it? I would rather have at least some of it planted.

You can let it float for months and then decide planting it this is about one of the only plants you can float or plant that's the nice thing about them.

Inga 07-15-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 424368)
Inga you have got to pull that Rotala apart some it will not thrive this way. Take like 3-4 Stems hold them between your index finger & thumb and push it in the gravel that way they won't float back up on you. Same with the Pennywort...You could have just asked lol...Glad to hear they arrived thou.

Oh, ok, I wasn't sure. I am having a heck of a time getting it to stay in. You should see my darn Tiger Barbs now. They are riding around in a circle on a large piece of the Pennywort that broke off from the big piece and is spinning in cicles by the outflow from the filter. They look like kids on a Merry-Go-Round. lol I wish I had video. That might keep me from wanting to deep fry them right now after they keep uprooting the plants I did get in. I know that they don't normally do that so they must just be really curious about the new plants.

Would it be ok to keep the Rotala like that for a few days until the Eco comes or no?

Inga 07-15-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 424370)
Yes that is the Java Fern I send the picture of.

You can let it float for months and then decide planting it this is about one of the only plants you can float or plant that's the nice thing about them.

Yeah, I looked at the picture but out of the water they all sort of looked alike. Yeah, I know I need to get my eyes checked. I think part of it was intimidation. I have floaters all over, pieces breaking off and minor panic when all the plants I just planted were floating again. Hopefully the ones I have in can take root.

I am working on breaking up the Rotala apart but I am so nervous about breaking it up as I pull it apart. Can you tell I am really good with plants?