Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Eheim canisters pieces of junk? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/eheim-canisters-pieces-junk-47212/)

Bluetangclan 07-15-2010 04:08 PM

Eheim canisters pieces of junk?

I have never worked as hard as I have with any piece of aquarium equipment as I have with my eheim canister. It takes an act of congress to make operate. I am tired of dealing with it. The instruction manual is laughable when it comes to operating instructions. Two priming pumps? Are they kidding, I am lucky to get mine to work with under a couple hundred. They talk more about the parts instead of how to actually get it to work. Is there an easy way to make one start operating? Mine is about to go out the door and into the trash and there is no way in the world I would ever recommend this filter to anyone. $200 bucks of garbage and work is all it is.
I have the eheim pro 3 and its just rattling away in the corner not filtering water like its supposed to. and yes it has water in it and in the tubes.

Great and now its leaking in the back because some retard in engineering didnt think to put rubber seals on it.

Stay away from Eheim.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good filter system for 140 gallons of water?

scalar 07-15-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluetangclan (Post 424294)
I have never worked as hard as I have with any piece of aquarium equipment as I have with my eheim canister. It takes an act of congress to make operate. I am tired of dealing with it. The instruction manual is laughable when it comes to operating instructions. Two priming pumps? Are they kidding, I am lucky to get mine to work with under a couple hundred. They talk more about the parts instead of how to actually get it to work. Is there an easy way to make one start operating? Mine is about to go out the door and into the trash and there is no way in the world I would ever recommend this filter to anyone. $200 bucks of garbage and work is all it is.
I have the eheim pro 3 and its just rattling away in the corner not filtering water like its supposed to. and yes it has water in it and in the tubes.

Great and now its leaking in the back because some retard in engineering didnt think to put rubber seals on it.

Stay away from Eheim.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good filter system for 140 gallons of water?

fluval ps canisters suck for salt if thats what your using it for the impaler gets eaten up

beetlebz 07-15-2010 10:56 PM

never had anything but great luck with my ehiem! sorry youre having such a bad experience :( im almost thinking it got damaged in some way somewhere along the line. mine is on year 3 or 4 (ecco 2236) and still pumping as strong as ever.

iamntbatman 07-16-2010 05:07 AM

Is the canister sitting well below the tank?

LisaC144 07-16-2010 08:44 AM

I loved my Eheim on my 55g too. Here is step-by-step instructions on how to set it up. I agree, the directions that are included are crap.

Starting with the intake.

Put the strainer on the long end of the J tube.
Attach the J tube to the inside of the tank using 2 suction cups.
Attach the flexible pipe to the short end of the J tube.
Run this pipe to the bottom of the filter, leaving some slack.
Cut the pipe and screw it to the bottom nipple on the filter.
Screw the screw part down, attach pipe then screw the screw part anti clockwise until it stops to seal the pipe on.
Cut the flexible pipe you have attached to the filter about 3" from where you attached it.
Attach one of the double tap connectors to this gap using the same screw on method. Make sure that when the taps are in the open position they point in the direction of the water flow.
Attach your remaining pipe to the top nipple on the filter.
Cut this pipe about 3" from the top of the filter.
Attach the second double tap connectors here, making the taps point up with the water flow.
Cut a small section of pipe from the output end. About 1" is good.
Attach this to the end of your spraybar with the barbs.
Put the spraybar cap in the other flat end.
Attach the small rigid elbow to the small 1" pipe on the spraybar.
Place the spraybar in your tank in your desired location with 2 suction cups.
Push the pipe comming from the output of the filter into the other cut elbow, until you have about 2" from the other end.
Attach this piece to the small rigid elbow.
The big cut open elbow should be on the rim of your tank.

Done.
To prime it, suck on the end that attaches to the rigid elbow. Stop sucking when you hear water flowing into the cannister. You should only have to do this once, as when you clean it water will stay in the intake pipe and prime it via gravity.

This is assuming you have the media in the cannister and ready to use.

You have put the tap connectors pointing with the direction of flow to make it easier when you set it back up after cleaning, it makes it so that intake will only connect to intake and output will only connect to output.

Hope it helps.

Bluetangclan 07-19-2010 12:54 PM

It has a really bad leak in the neighborhood of about 15 gallons in 2 days out of the power cord hole. Thankfully I have a big back up Emperor HOB filter I am going to find some filter floss for. I am just using this as mechanical filtering anyway although it did make some nice water movement. along with my alternating return pump. errrr. I wasnt getting my discus this week anyway.

aunt kymmie 07-19-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluetangclan (Post 426503)
I wasnt getting my discus this week anyway.

Your setting up a discus tank? Awesome. Details??

Byron 07-19-2010 07:24 PM

Lisa has given good instructions. I've had Eheim Pro canisters for 15 years running without any issues ever. They are without question the most reliable filter out there, and they have the track record to stand behind. It will be interesting to see if Rena and Fluval can match it. They are also good filters, I have a Rena on my 115g.

freshAqua 07-19-2010 09:47 PM

I have a new eheim 2213 on my 40gal breeder tank and after only 2 months there is a dramatic drop in the water pressure that is returned.. when it was first running it was like a strong stream.. and now the water simply sprinkles out. I rinsed the media in aquarium water but the pressure has not changed.. if anyone knows how to fix it, id appreciate it : )

LisaC144 07-19-2010 10:11 PM

Your hoses might need a simple cleaning. Take them down and run hot water through them. I usually do this in my bathtub. A thin pipe brush will help get the tougher stuff off.
Posted via Mobile Device