Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   My Discus have spawned!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/my-discus-have-spawned-47179/)

aunt kymmie 07-15-2010 12:30 AM

My Discus have spawned!!

4 Attachment(s)
For the second time my mated pair of Discus have spawned. Today I was actually right next to the tank to see the entire thing unfold. Pretty darn amazing, if you ask me! My friends think I'm a geek, getting all excited over "a bunch of little eggs". Not sure when or if I'll ever put these two in their own breeding tank since I know little, if next to nothing, about what's involved in the entire process. For now I'm just happy knowing they are healthy and comfortable enough to go about their business.

eileen 07-15-2010 12:36 AM

Those are beautiful Discus Kym. Hope you get little ones but what would you do with all of them.

aunt kymmie 07-15-2010 12:38 AM

I know! I would love to see the offspring this pair would produce but considering there's at least a 100 eggs there, what ever in the world would I do with them all?? You're right around the neighborhood...ready to set up a discus tank?? ;-)

bgkfish lady30 07-15-2010 12:41 AM

wow those are beutiful! how do u tell the sex of the adults?

eileen 07-15-2010 12:49 AM

No thanks, my wild columbian Rams I have to change the water twice a week and yesterday I added my Black Moscow guppy male to the tank with 1 female fancy guppyand I think the Rams shredded it's long tail. I had to take my guppy male out. I can't put Fancy guppy males in that tank. Females are ok as they do not have long tails. I might have to rehome the Guppies as I do not want to keep them in a 6 gal. tank. My 20 gal. has Bumblebee platies and babies but the females don't eat their own young like guppies do. Look at my pictures of my tiny snails on the Invetebrates site. Let me know what you think. Mordalphus want's me to send him some but I hate to charge for such tiny snails. How did you send your snails to that lady in Las Vegas? I have some breather bags and a flat rate smaller box and a reg. cube box that I can insulate with syrofoam if I do send them.

aunt kymmie 07-15-2010 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eileen (Post 423993)
Look at my pictures of my tiny snails on the Invetebrates site. Let me know what you think. Mordalphus want's me to send him some but I hate to charge for such tiny snails. How did you send your snails to that lady in Las Vegas? I have some breather bags and a flat rate smaller box and a reg. cube box that I can insulate with syrofoam if I do send them.

I think they are Assasins. It was pretty simple for me to send her the MTS snails. All I did was wet a paper towel (REALLY wet), folded it over a few times, and then I placed it in a zip lock back with the snails inside. I sent it to her in a flate rate priority envelope. It was only here to Vegas, a two day transit. Where is Mordalphus, I forget? If you have breather bags I would think the snails would be fine in a few days transit. Snails are tough little buggers.

aunt kymmie 07-15-2010 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgkfish lady30 (Post 423985)
wow those are beutiful! how do u tell the sex of the adults?

I'm not sure. As for my pair, I *think* the orange pigeon is the male, and the red turquoise is the female. The reason I think this is that first I noticed them flittering in unison very close to an anubias leaf, then the red was over the anubia leaf, then I saw eggs, then the orange went over the eggs and he was gently "swishing" over them and when he was done I saw something extended from his vent area. It looked like, well, what is the male anatomy of a discus called?? I can't recall the exact name for that part of the anatomy...a gonapedia or something like that??
The best thing in all of this is that my girlfriend was dropping me off from the beach at the very moment this was happening. This is one of my friend's whose favorite fish saying is, "I don't like looking at fish, and they better not look at me". (Not sure why she's a kook in this way). Long story short, she was just as fascinated watching this whole process as I was.

eileen 07-15-2010 01:16 AM

To bad that you did not use your moving picture setting on your camera to take moving pictures then you can post them on u-tube or here.

aunt kymmie 07-15-2010 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eileen (Post 424003)
To bad that you did not use your moving picture setting on your camera to take moving pictures then you can post them on u-tube or here.

I wish I would have thought of that! It was so amazing to watch.

jeaninel 07-15-2010 01:45 AM

Congratulations on the eggs. Those are gorgeous fish!:nicefish: