Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   tank size for honey gourami (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/tank-size-honey-gourami-47110/)

beetlebz 07-13-2010 10:27 PM

tank size for honey gourami

I got 2 honey gourami from my LFS a few days ago after weeks of hemming and hawing. I have them in my 55g temporarily, but I was wondering if they can go in 5 happily?

I have a 5g eclipse hex on my desk thats empty, i want to set it back up and heavily plant it... but would they be happy in a 5g? ive read several conflicting opinions.

iamntbatman 07-14-2010 05:23 AM

Are they both males? Even though honeys are on the friendly end of the spectrum as far as gouramis are concerned, I'd still be wary about putting two males in a tank of that size.

kitten_penang 07-14-2010 05:48 AM

what bat man says is true.2 males in a small tank spells trouble.plus the plants might take up to much place if your gonna heavily stock it.

Byron 07-14-2010 07:15 PM

Yes. This fish is in our profiles, if you check that it will mention minimum tank size and in the compatibility section give info on issues if any. Link to the profiles is second from the left in the blue bar at the top, or click on a shaded name like Honey Gourami in any post to go to that fish's profile (if it's included).

beetlebz 07-15-2010 04:44 PM

I did actually read the profile, my curiosity centered around the comment you posted (Byron) in the profile "this species can be kept in a small group in smaller tanks (20g and larger)". Im not trying to split hairs, but i have heard and seen several times that people keep them as singles, pairs, and centerpieces in 5g and 5.5g tanks. I would trust your opinion more than some, so if you and other contributors here think 5g is too small for a pair or single I would abide, I just didnt know if there was a difference between a "small group" and a single or pair :) thats all.

I presently have them in my 55 planted community and they get along just fine. They also pal around together on occasion however A) im not sure of their sex and B) they have ALOT of room to get away from one another if any tension builds.

Byron 07-15-2010 07:11 PM

Thank you for the trust, but the opinion is usually not mine. When I do the profiles, I spend hours (quite literally) on several sites for research. Obviously I can't know all this stuff, not many can for every fish. And the sites I use are not just "hobby" but scientifically-oriented. I have very rarely found differences between them, though there is sometimes a variance with respect to water parameters. I also use (when I can get/find them) specific scientific studies and articles on fish species and these carry weight should there be variances. I compile all this info and write the profile. It takes me 2-4 hours per profile. So the point here is that what you read in the profile is not some aquarist's idea, it is the consensus of highly-knowledgeable aquarists and leading ichthyologists. Just a bit of background.

I just read over the profile and I think it needs some revision. The tank size and comments are obviously aimed at keeping a small group. Something needs to be said about individuals/pairs.

I wish more people would read these profiles and provide feedback like this. I keep mentioning them because I sometimes feel they are not being used.:-(

Thanks for mentioning this.:thumbsup:

Byron.

Edit: Might as well answer the specific question I guess. One in a 10g yes, but not a pair [except as a spawning tank] as there is not sufficient room for the female to escape the male's advances from time to time. One in a 10g would work as this being a gourami needs quiet still water, not an active swimmer, cruising around plants (floating especially). I do not consider 5g sufficient space for a 2 inch fish. I just went back through some of my references and the majority suggest a 20g 24-inch tank is the minimum even for one or two.

beetlebz 07-15-2010 10:53 PM

Well, what I mean is some of you that I trust i know would at least know what youre talking about or have done the research prior to throwing out possibly obsolete or dramatically inaccurate information. And thats a pretty nice feeling!

as for my wee honeys i think they will be spending the duration in my 55g community :) they certainly seem content and the giant gouramis dont bug them at all!

now we need to get on to breeding our own hybrid fish so we can all have something besides bettas in our 5g hex tanks :D

eileen 07-15-2010 11:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Have you ever thought of getting some all male endlers for that small tank. I have a desk top Bowfront 2.5 gal. It has 5 all male Black Bar Endlers and I dwarf catfish in it. I do water changes twice a week and it has a bio filter. Most aquarium stores sell really nice looking endlers. You have to stay away from getting a female as they will over populate in a small tank. Espes Rasboras are nice schooling fish that do well in small tanks with live plants also. Dwarf Red Cherry shrimps are nice also in small tanks. I posted some pictures of my endlers they are young and just starting to color up as I got all the males out of my unfiltered tub pond. I posted a picture of my red Cherry Shrimps also.

Byron 07-16-2010 12:07 AM

Yes, excellent suggestions eileen. There are quite a few "dwarf" fish around that do very well in small tanks. Several are in our profiles, among the Cyprinids mostly and Characins, Endlers in livebearers (though not sure they are there yet...).

burnsbabe 08-23-2010 04:23 AM

I'd agree that this is really too small of a tank for even one honey and though they aren't really schooling fish, I'd feel like the one was all lonely.

Speaking of the profiles Byron, I really appreciate them. They're usually excellent. I did look at the one of the Discus the other day though and it didn't seem to be you who wrote it. It all seemed to be ranting about opinions. Might want to check it out.