Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Suitable tankmates for 3 Spot Gourami? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/suitable-tankmates-3-spot-gourami-47044/)

iriskai 07-12-2010 10:41 PM

Suitable tankmates for 3 Spot Gourami?

I may be getting an adult male 3 Spot from my sister when she goes to college (she won't have room in the dorm and I could fit another tank in my apartment). He's currently in a 5 gallon hex that he's WAY too big for and that I don't want. Would a 20H be okay for him? What tankmates would get along alright with a 4-5 inch Gold Gourami? I've had a trio of Angelfish suggested to me so far.

iriskai 07-13-2010 07:50 PM

The guy at the pet store also mentioned "Tiger Barbs" but I'm not a huge fan of them.

aunt kymmie 07-13-2010 08:36 PM

Me, personally, I'd never mix Tiger Barbs with any type of gourami. Gouramis are slow swimming fish and Tiger Barbs are known fin nippers. Not sure what the best tankmates for a 3 spot are but I'm sure it's not Tigers, and a grouping of Tigers would never work in a 20gl anyway. Same goes for Angels, a single Angel couldn't be housed properly in a 20 gl, much less a trio. Someone will come along shortly who can advise best possible tankmates for your gourami.

iriskai 07-13-2010 08:56 PM

Thanks for the input! Neither of them sounded like a good plan but I wanted to double check. I read up on the Tigers earlier and noticed most people commented on them being fin nippers. Avoiding another male Gourami as well. Maybe a female Three Spot when I get the tank planted up nicely? Of course, this is all theoretical at this point seeing as I don't have the fish OR the tank yet. :)

aunt kymmie 07-13-2010 09:08 PM

Well, you're smart to do your research BEFORE you purchased any fish. I wish I would have been that smart when I first started out, lol.

zof 07-13-2010 09:49 PM

I just got a blue and golden gourami the gold was female and blue was male and the blue is always chasing the gold one around, I'm sure if my tank was fuller it wouldn't be an issue just have to wait for my plants to grow. Both of them leave my guppies and platies alone but I'm sure those might be to plain for you.

iamntbatman 07-14-2010 06:19 AM

How about some sort of rasbora? They're generally peaceful shoaling fish that would get along fine with your gourami, generally have the same water parameter requirements and are also from SE Asia, if that's something you're considering. If you're not bothered by mixing fish from all over the world, any non-nippy tetras that aren't incredibly tiny would probably work, too.

iriskai 07-14-2010 10:04 AM

I'm not partial to sticking to one area of the world. :) Any opinions on Dwarf Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia praecox)? I'd considered them when a LFS guy suggested them to me for my 10g but opted out for a smaller species of Rainbowfish, thinking the the Praecox would need/want more room. I

Byron 07-14-2010 08:19 PM

In our fish profiles we have info on tank size, compatibility (other suitable fish) etc. for each species that is included, and this Gourami is there though not under the common name "3 spot" since it has so many common names and only one can be listed for the link. In this case it is listed as the Blue Gourami, you can click on the shaded name to see the profile.

iriskai 07-14-2010 11:25 PM

Thanks, Byron. I've definitely checked out the profiles on this message board and a few others, I just wanted to see what members here had personal success with.