Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Aquarium cycled/not cycling? **Please help** (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/aquarium-cycled-not-cycling-please-help-4679/)

Steenbergen 04-01-2007 07:37 PM

Aquarium cycled/not cycling? **Please help**

Hello, i have set up my 112 gallon aquarium and it has been set up for 6 days and i have tested water everyday and has come up 0 for ammonia nitrite, so on the sixth day i added some tiger barbs and still nothing changed is this suppose to happen and help would be good thank you

reverendred 04-01-2007 07:44 PM

generally it takes a month for full cycle if i am correct. so after 6 days i dont think it would show much

what are you cycling it with? fish? food? what type of filter?

Steenbergen 04-01-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

what are you cycling it with? fish? food? what type of filter?
I am cycling with fish food and 3 tiger barbs and i am using an eheim 2215 canister filter and a marineland penguin 200 biowheel power filter. No result even when fish have been added.

Rue 04-01-2007 07:49 PM

...sounds like everything is going according to plan! Congrats! Sounds like your tank has cycled - although 6 days isn't the norm...and you haven't added too many fish...

...your bacteria appear to be breaking down the ammonia from your fish which is why your reading is 0...

How many barbs did you add? Never mind...my dial-up is slow! I just read 3...

...now the trick is to keep up the good work!

Steenbergen 04-01-2007 07:54 PM

Would my tank be able to cycle in just 6 days? I have squeezed my filter sponge from my other cycled aquarium and added a peice of driftwood that was already in an established tank, but would that help cycle the tank so fast?

Lupin 04-01-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steenbergen
Would my tank be able to cycle in just 6 days? I have squeezed my filter sponge from my other cycled aquarium and added a peice of driftwood that was already in an established tank, but would that help cycle the tank so fast?

Yes, it can. What is your nitrate reading?

Rue 04-01-2007 07:58 PM

...technically yes...as long as the new tank has the proper bacteria...it will cycle faster than if you were starting from scratch...

...I don't know how much bacteria you added by squeezing the sponge...but the driftwood will certainly have a covering of bactera...

Steenbergen 04-01-2007 08:02 PM

I am not sure what my nitrate reading is because my test kit did not come with a nitrate tester so ill have to go get one to see. So if the ammonia levels or nitrite levels do not raise soon does that mean i can add more fish?

scottysgirl 04-02-2007 01:10 AM

Cautiously you can add small numbers of new fish. I think what is going on is you have such a small number of fish and such a large tank that due to the fact that you seeded some old material into the tank the bacteria are able to keep up. Probably just barely though, if you went out and put a ton of fish in there a massive ammonia spike would ensue. It should be safe to start adding a few fish :)

Andyandsue 04-03-2007 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steenbergen
I am not sure what my nitrate reading is because my test kit did not come with a nitrate tester so ill have to go get one to see. So if the ammonia levels or nitrite levels do not raise soon does that mean i can add more fish?

I agree, be very careful until you are sure it has cycled, and even then add slowly or you can throw your tank into a mini-cycle which isn't fun to manage. (Been there, done that!)

One of my tanks cycled super fast (about 12 days) but I used BioSpira (which has its devoted followers and non-believers). If you haven't had a reading of any nitrites yet, I would be doubtful it went through a cycle. It's possible there isn't enough ammonia in the tank for it to read yet. I had that happen to me when I started my larger tank.

Definitely test the nitrates. Once they appear and the ammonia and nitrite consistently read 0, your tank is cycled.