Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   catfish tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/catfish-tank-4677/)

Falina 04-01-2007 05:53 PM

catfish tank

hello

im thinking about setting up a catfish tank. its not definite yet, but its a consideration and im trying to decide what i would put in it if i did. as the tank hasnt been purchased yet size isnt yet an issue, though i dont want anything massive so something like a common plec would be out. im looking at anything that wouldnt grow ay bigger than probably 15cm. but mainly its just how all the fish would get on that im trying to decide, and if there are any that need totally opposite water conditions from another.

so far im thinking about:

White Spotted Catfish (Agamyxis pectinifrons)
Upside Down Catfish (Synodonts Eupterus)
clown plec
candy striped plec (Peckoltia vittata - L-15)
pictus catfish
6 cories (probably vronze, albino or peppered)

i probably wouldnt get all these fish on the basis that id need a big tank in order to do so, theyre just possibilities, for an only possible tank. any other suggestions? also, are there any of these catfish that need to be kept as the only one of the species? ie, any that i could only get one of?

thanks

Enzo 04-01-2007 06:05 PM

Don't get a clown pleco they're very small they don't grow big at all just around 4 inches after a couple years and all the do is munch wood they're obsolutly pointless and now im stuck with mine.

Falina 04-01-2007 06:08 PM

i just quite like the look of them. and i dont really want anything bigger than 6" anyway.

if you didnt live in canada, id take him off your hands for you lol

does anyone know if it would be a problem keeping cories which are obviously a fair bit smaller with these larger catfish? not too large, like i said 6" max

Gump 04-01-2007 06:12 PM

Id say get a bunch of synodontis cats (eupterus, decorus, angelicus, petricola, multipunctatus) are all pretty cool catfish.

Enzo 04-01-2007 06:12 PM

cories would probalbly be fine they aren't call armored catfish for nothing.

Falina 04-01-2007 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gump
Id say get a bunch of synodontis cats (eupterus, decorus, angelicus, petricola, multipunctatus) are all pretty cool catfish.

dont some of these get pretty big? i havent got the tank yet but i cant really afford anything too massive.
also i read somewhere that its best not to keep more than one of these type of fish. or is that maybe only one of each particular fish kinda thing?

thanks

Gump 04-02-2007 12:41 AM

Never heard that before, at one point i had 7 different species in one tank. Some species enjoy others of the same type so from what ive seen and read keeping them appart is false.

Falina 04-02-2007 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gump
Never heard that before, at one point i had 7 different species in one tank. Some species enjoy others of the same type so from what ive seen and read keeping them appart is false.

i really like my synodontis that i have just now so ill certainly look out for others if i decided to definitely set it up. thanks very much

sazzy 04-02-2007 03:11 PM

i own a catfish tank, i wouldnt change it for the world :D
but get little catfish if you want somthing to watch, as i have large ones and they dont do much until the lights are out or feeding time :?

plecs are really interesting fish and there are so many different kinds (i own 8)
have a look at my gallery :wink:

Falina 04-02-2007 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sazzy
i own a catfish tank, i wouldnt change it for the world :D
but get little catfish if you want somthing to watch, as i have large ones and they dont do much until the lights are out or feeding time :?

plecs are really interesting fish and there are so many different kinds (i own 8)
have a look at my gallery :wink:

i saw your catfish a while ago actually while i was just browsing through folks pictures. the walking cat is really spectacular.

like i said i dont want anything much bigger than 6" as i dont want to have to get a massive tank. im thinking about 1 or 2 plecs, 1 or 2 synodontis and a talking cat (white spotted cat). the wsc i have absolutely fell in love with lately, and the sources i have found go between saying they will grow to 5" and 6" so either would be just perfect :D