Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Help for a newbie

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  herefishy 
#1 ·
This is my first tank and i'm not sure i'm getting it right!

I started my tank up over 2 weeks ago with just live plants and waited a week before adding any fish to it. I added 2 male guppies 6 days ago and they have been great, lively, eating their tropical flakes etc. I feed them a little 2 times a day. I did a water change on Thursday and used Prime water conditioner. Today they seem not so good. Both have hardly left the area around the water heater (Its at a steady 25). One is very lethargic and has barely moved, the other is darting up and down the tank most of the day.

I understand the whole cycle process but I didn't plan on testing the water so have no test kit.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should/should not be doing?

One more thing, I have a piece of driftwood in, I boiled and scrubbed it before adding to the tank at the start up but have noticed that it is getting a clear slimy film over the knots and holes in the wood. Should I clean it up out of there or is this normal in the cycling stage?

#4 ·
Re: Its 30 gallon, my stats are added in the tank area..

nikkigill50 said:
I actually took a sample to the lfs today and they said levels are all okay.
Welcome.:wave:

You'll be better off with your own test kit so you can post the exact figures.:) Without the figures, we will not be able to know what exactly is wrong with your tank. You may actually have ammonia and nitrites which are quite toxic to the fish. API Freshwater Master test kit is a good one to buy.:)

#5 ·
Also, size of tank is important, I am assuming it is a ten gallon? Did you collect the driftwood yourself or buy it? And I would definitely recommend biting the bullet and buying a test kit, I know they are expensive but they last a long time and most fish problems are due to water issues. Without a test kit you don't know what is actually going on in your tank, it is a good idea to test water once a week.
Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.