Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   New Royal Endler (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/new-royal-endler-46746/)

eileen 07-08-2010 05:21 PM

New Royal Endler

3 Attachment(s)
I wanted to post a picture of my new male Royal Endler. This is a new strain.The one was not cheap I paid $6.99 for it at a Local fish shop when the other Endlers sold for $3.99 each. I thought he was pretty so I got him. This shop only carries all male endlers and all male guppies. I guess it's because they do not want you to breed them. I looked on-line and even Aquabid and could not find any pictures of this type. The back 1/2 of it is a Black color with a red doulblesword tail. The top of it's head has a blue neon color so it is easy to see it swimming in my pond. I'm hoping for a mix of the Black Bar Endlers and Royal Endler. I only have 2 Black Bar Females in my pond that I got from a friend.I just wanted to see what I will have at the end of summer. I only put the fish in the pond to control mosquitos.

I have a unfiltered tub pond. They have had a bunch of babies in it already. I kept 5 Black bar Ender males that I put in a 2.5 gal Bowfront desk tank. I rehomed all the female black bar babies.Today I fished out 7 more babies that are all going to get rehomed.Most of the babies in the next few months should be Black Bars.By the end of summer I should see a mix with the Royal endler. It will be interesting what the colors of the males will be.

Pic.#1- Royal Endler Male
pic.#2-The5 Black Bar male babies I put in my 2.5 gal.starting to color up see Black Bar on one of them.
pic.#3-My unfiltered tub pond where the 2 Female Black Bar Endler+ 1 Male Royal Endler is

kitten_penang 07-09-2010 06:25 AM

nice endler =) did you only get one male????

eileen 07-10-2010 12:47 AM

I only got 1 as the shop only keep male endlers. I put it it my tub pond with the 2 Black Bar females to see what colors come out in the babies at the end of the summer.

kitten_penang 07-10-2010 06:15 AM

the end result should be interesting.do put up a pic when they do have babies =)

fryup 07-11-2010 01:36 PM

im not 100% sure but last time i went to my lfs there were "guppies/endlers" that had the boby colours of an englr but the dark black/blue tail of a guppy?...not sure what they were...they mite have been hybrids and they were all male ?....if only i had the money ;)

:):):).....good luck with yours :):):)

kitten_penang 07-13-2010 12:18 PM

yup if you did we could both enjoy looking at them.thats if you post pics of course =)

Oldman47 07-20-2010 11:32 PM

In my experience with my endlers, I find tat much of the color in fry reflects the male parent even if the female is unrelated. In traditional genetices that would not make much sense, but it seems to work with true endlers. I have no idea how it would work with the endler guppy hybrids so often sold as endlers these days.

kitten_penang 07-21-2010 08:05 AM

we have native endlers in malaysia they are called peacock fish and you can even find them in drains. they are just like sticklebacks in america.a very common fish.

Oldman47 07-24-2010 09:31 AM

Sorry to need to say this kitten but endlers are not native to Malaysia. They originate in a small coastal area of Venezuela. You may indeed have similar looking fish but they are not native endlers. It is even possible that someone has released endlers there, but it is more likely you are seeing feral guppies. Wild type guppies were used in many parts of the world for mosquito control around 50 years or more ago. Now they seem to be native in most places but are actually released fish that are not truly native. Guppies are native to the freshwater around the Caribbean and their actual original location is not well known since they have been in the trade so long and they have been released for mosquito control, including in areas close to their original habitat.

eileen 07-24-2010 11:36 PM

I just wanted to see what colors will come out with the fry in my tub pond overtime. The endlers are just in there to control Mosquitos during the spring & summer months. I will move them indoor over fall and winter time then back outside over late spring.I'm not trying to breed them. I will post the outcome of the fry babies in the future if I see sometime pretty and differt as they would be a endler mix between a Royal endler and Black Bar endler.