Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   gray bichir and peacock eel compatibility? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/gray-bichir-peacock-eel-compatibility-46736/)

PL1991 07-08-2010 01:28 PM

gray bichir and peacock eel compatibility?

Hello guys,

I've recently received a 7 inch long dinosaur eel (gray bichir). I am planning on adding 2 peacock eels in there that are about 5 inches each. How well do you think these fish will do together? There's plenty of decors and hiding spots in my tank. Please help out =]

Also, what kind of diet should I offer? Right now I'm feeding the bichir feeder minnows but I heard that might lead to nutrition deficiency.

kitten_penang 07-09-2010 06:38 AM

how large is the tank? if the tank small with ample hiding places it might get crampy in there =) bichir is an aggressive predator, will be agressive towards others of its own kind, and predate on smaller fish. Keep only with robust similar-sized tank mates. Feed once a day.A carnivore, feed meaty foods such as earthworms, shrimp, bloodworms, mussels and fish fillets such as silversides. Must have a spacious tank with exceptional filtration. Prefers a sandy substrate with plenty of hiding places. A secure lid is a must as this fish is a known escape. They prefer acidic waterSenegalus, like other members of the species Polypterus, are generally a non-aggressive bottom-dwelling predator. They may show agression toward other bichirs over territory, and will prey on anything that will fit in a Senegalus' mouth but are otherwise a docile addition to a tank with similar-sized fish. Lighting is not necessary for this fish, they prefer a dimly lit environment with plenty of dark hiding places. Polypterus Senegalus is the most active of all Polypterus

Peacock eel has an elongated body. Wild specimens often grow up to 30 centimeters long (12 inches), but in captivity the will often stay around 15 centimeters (6 inches). Peacock eel will [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]eat[/color][/color] worms, crustaceans and larvae and keeping them on a similar diet of live food in the aquarium is recommended. Live brine [COLOR=black! important][COLOR=black! important]shrimp[/color][/color], blood worms, mosquito larvae and cyclops are all good suggestions.

A small Peacock eel needs to be housed in an aquarium that is at least 61 centimeters long (24 inches) and has a volume of 75 liters (20 gallons). If your Peacock eel grows larger, you must move it to a bigger aquarium. The water conditions in the aquarium should resemble those found in slow flowing Southeast Asian rivers. You can add some salt to the water. The ideal pH is 7.0 and the ideal dH is 10, but the Peacock eel will tolerate a pH between 6 and 8 and a dH in the 6 to 25 range. This fish like warm waters so make sure that the temperature stays between 23 and 28 C (73 and 82 F).

The Peacock eel is commonly kept in community aquariums since it is a quite peaceful fish. Avoid keeping it with small fishes, since they will be considered food. Similarly sized and peaceful fish that appreciates the same water conditions as the Peacock eel are much better companions. When the Peacock eel has been introduced to a new home, it is usually very shy and prefers to stay hidden most of the time. If you provide it with an aquarium environment that makes it feel safe, it can become very friendly over time. As mentioned above, the Peacock eel inhabits densely grown waters, and keeping this fish in an aquarium with plenty of plants is therefore recommended. Your Peacock eel will also appreciate PVC pipes that it can hide inside, and sheltered spots created by rocks, roots and wood.

Lupin 07-09-2010 06:45 AM

The only bichirs I'd safely add with eels (not less than 2/3 of the total length of the bichir) is Polypterus senegalus and possibly P. delhezi. Anything else will make a fair game on your eels.

PL1991 07-09-2010 02:45 PM

Thanks for the advice

Hey guys really appreciate the advice. What would you say is a general rule of thumb to adding more bichirs in my tank? My current dino bichir is about 7 inches, and the largest ones I see in pet stores are about 4 tops. Should I try to introduce another one or just call it quits?

By the way I've decided against keeping the peacock eels together with the bichir. The eels are currently in a tank with cichlid fries, 30 gallon. The bichir is in a twenty gallon with 3 small jewel cichlids in there.

kitten_penang 07-09-2010 03:48 PM

they are aggressive towards their own kind as i've said before.