Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Aquarium heater overheating water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/aquarium-heater-overheating-water-46710/)

Yasowhat 07-08-2010 04:02 AM

Aquarium heater overheating water

Hey there, I have a 10 gallon tank with two 25 watt Hydor THEO heaters. I have both of them set for 86 degrees, but my tank is sitting around 88-89 (I'm treating for Ich right now). The fish are fine themselves, no signs of stress and they are getting better, but I'm wondering if I just have to figure out what setting gives what temperature? Or am I using them wrong. Google has given me no information. They are submersed to the top of the dial, the pilot light is always on even though the water is much warmer than it should be.

dorabaker 07-08-2010 06:08 AM

i'm not sure whats wrong with the heaters, but i thought i'd add i'm setting up a 15 gallon and I am planning on having two 50 watt heaters in it. currently I only have one, set to 27 celsius, and it doesn't seem to have heated up at all yet, but i've only just set it up and it probably takes about 24 hours to heat up or something. but in my experience, one 50 watt heater in a 15 gallon doesn't work at all, it underheats.
anyway good luck and i hope you get them working the way they should...maybe try setting one heater at a lower temperature to the other or something? :)

bones14 07-08-2010 06:52 AM

Do you have incadescent bulbs or florescent?The incadescent will add more heat.Also does the tank get direct sunlight?Another thing to remember is that the thermometer isn't going to be exactly accurate.They can be off a degree or 2 one way or the other.

Yasowhat 07-08-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorabaker (Post 419574)
i'm not sure whats wrong with the heaters, but i thought i'd add i'm setting up a 15 gallon and I am planning on having two 50 watt heaters in it. currently I only have one, set to 27 celsius, and it doesn't seem to have heated up at all yet, but i've only just set it up and it probably takes about 24 hours to heat up or something. but in my experience, one 50 watt heater in a 15 gallon doesn't work at all, it underheats.
anyway good luck and i hope you get them working the way they should...maybe try setting one heater at a lower temperature to the other or something? :)

I'm sure it's not an underheating problem, the highest I've seen it get was 90 accidentally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bones14 (Post 419577)
Do you have incadescent bulbs or florescent?The incadescent will add more heat.Also does the tank get direct sunlight?Another thing to remember is that the thermometer isn't going to be exactly accurate.They can be off a degree or 2 one way or the other.

I guess, but I have both heaters set for 83 degrees now and the tank is 86-87. I guess I just have to play with them to get the right temperature. Thanks for the help guys.
Edit: And no lights or direct sunlight

redchigh 07-08-2010 01:37 PM

Yea, You just have to play with it.

I just monitor the temperature... If the temperature is good and the pilot light is on, I turn the heater down just until it goes off.

If it's too cool, I turn it up until the light just turns on.

Yasowhat 07-08-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 419841)
Yea, You just have to play with it.

I just monitor the temperature... If the temperature is good and the pilot light is on, I turn the heater down just until it goes off.

If it's too cool, I turn it up until the light just turns on.

Yeah I thought so. Should the pilot light always be on? Or should it go on and off. I have one that jumps on and off, and th other stays on constantly. I'm wondering which isn't working properly
Posted via Mobile Device

zof 07-08-2010 08:37 PM

might have a broken heater if it stays on all the time... are they separate brands? or the same? The only explanation would be 1 stays on to say its plugged in(very unlikely) or the thermostat is broke which might be why your tank is overly warm. I have a 200watt heater in my 37g tank right now and from day one its been about 5 degrees off, I've just learned that and adjusted it until it was at the correct setting.

Why don't you go ahead and get one of your 50 watt heaters and replace the one that is always on and see if that cures the issue, if so then you know you have a faulty heater and might be able to adjust for it or might have to replace it.

Byron 07-08-2010 10:58 PM

Sounds like that heater that is always on is not working. The pilot light should mean the heating element is heating when the light is on, and not when the light is off. If the light is always on, it should mean the heating element is always heating...and in a 10 g tank you would have water in the high 90's if that were the case. Unless the heater is not working at all.