Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Newly Planted HELP! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/newly-planted-help-46532/)

PRichs87 07-05-2010 12:20 PM

Newly Planted HELP!

I just put some plants into my tank and am now having issues.

Set Up:

29 gallon
1 angel, 6 danios, 6 blood fins, 6 black phantoms
Aqueon 30 power filter
Aqueon heater
gravel

I recently bought API Leaf Zone as my liquid fert for my plants NOW MY NITRITES ARE ABOVE 5 ppm! AHHHHH! All my other counts are at 0 ppm. pH is 7.6

Did a 50% water change and the number went done some, not enough though!I

Is anyone aware if the leaf zone will give a false positive for a nitrite test?

Any thoughts on what else to do besides the water changes?

Byron 07-05-2010 01:39 PM

First, you do mean nitrite and not nitrate? This is not a silly question, because a nitrite reading of 5 would likely mean dead or dying fish. That is very high. Very.

If it is nitrite, then perhaps the test kit is faulty (expired)?

I am not aware of any plant fertilizer made for an aquarium that increases nitrite or otherwise impacts on the nitrogen cycle. A rise in nitrite is due to something else. Do the fish look stressed? They would if nitrite is even half what you mention. Nitrite affects the fish's ability to carry oxygen in the blood and they basically suffocate. First symptomes would be gasping at the surface for oxygen.

Byron.

PRichs87 07-05-2010 03:20 PM

Byron,

Not at all, I have the API master freshwater kit, and got a reading of over 5. Never had this problem until I put in real plants and started using the fert. I'm wondering if it is a false positive due to the fact that all of my fish are perfectly fine.

JohnnyD44 07-05-2010 03:37 PM

I would maybe try and get your water tested at your LFS to make sur you're test hasn't gone bad. A sudden reading of over 5ppm for nitrite seems very odd. When I switched to a planted tank, I started using Seachem's flourish comprehensive and never had problem, that was over 6 months ago....

I'd get a second reading

Byron 07-05-2010 06:53 PM

I will go out on a limb and say that a reading of 5 for nitrite is not at all possible if the fish are still alive. So I would check this as Johnny suggests. There is an expiry date on the API test kits, probably on the bottom of the regent. I believe they (API) say their test is good for 2-3 years.

In a planted aquarium, nitrite will never be above zero unless something very drastic occurs.

Have you tested the nitrate (this might help to identify the issue)? And ammonia?

Byron.

PRichs87 07-05-2010 08:08 PM

Yes, checked all counts, everything is at zero now, nitrates were at 10 before my partial. so i was really confused, as my tank is cycled.

Byron 07-05-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRichs87 (Post 417907)
Yes, checked all counts, everything is at zero now, nitrates were at 10 before my partial. so i was really confused, as my tank is cycled.

When you say "everthing" do you mean nitrite is now zero too?