Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   any ideas of fish to get (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/any-ideas-fish-get-46464/)

tommaso889 07-04-2010 11:38 AM

any ideas of fish to get

so i have a 60 litre tank... i HAD 3 blue gourami 2 peppered corydoras ( only one left :( ) 5 assorted platy (all died ) 5 sailfin mollies (all died) so now i have

1 peppered corydoras
1 redtail shark
1 golden algae eater
1 pleco
3 blue gourami ( the longest surivers)
2 dwarf puffers which were added on thursday

so now to my question what woul yu suggest i added to that as my tank is looking a little bit bare :-(

squilky 07-04-2010 11:58 AM

well Corys do better in groups, so how about a few more peppered corys?
Posted via Mobile Device

tommaso889 07-04-2010 12:24 PM

hmnmm yeahh i like tha idea but i was thinking of gettis fish that swim near the top as most of my fish swim near the bottom

jaysee 07-04-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommaso889 (Post 417173)
so i have a 60 litre tank... i HAD 3 blue gourami 2 peppered corydoras ( only one left :( ) 5 assorted platy (all died ) 5 sailfin mollies (all died) so now i have

1 peppered corydoras
1 redtail shark
1 golden algae eater
1 pleco
3 blue gourami ( the longest surivers)
2 dwarf puffers which were added on thursday

so now to my question what woul yu suggest i added to that as my tank is looking a little bit bare :-(

60 liters is almost 15 gallons. Many of the fish you have are not appropriate for a tank that small. I'm afraid the only fish you ought to keep in it are the puffers. Also, puffers are not good community tank fish.

tommaso889 07-04-2010 03:10 PM

so what could i put with the puffers?

pumh 07-04-2010 04:38 PM

well... There are other possibilities but fish what are your water stats? If you have higher ph you could have a colony of smaller shell dwellers ( like multis) or if you have lower ph you could do germam blue rams or apistogrammas, or you could do the puffers as suggested above. From what you have in there now the only things that won't out grow the tank are the dwarf puffers and cory ( assuming the golden algae water is the typical Chinese algae eater)
Posted via Mobile Device

tommaso889 07-04-2010 04:45 PM

soo heres the my plan as my plec and algae eater are still able to fit in the tank i shall keep them (untill they grow out of it ) and then possibly getting a bigger tank a swapping them at the pet shop. as for my gourami i have been thinking of getting rid of them for a while as they are get aggressive towards eachother and other fish but then i need to decide what to replace them with :)

Inga 07-04-2010 05:01 PM

Just a thought but since you mentioned possibly getting a bigger tank, maybe you could do that now. Then in the larger tank, maybe the fish won't fight as they have more room to move about and with plants, decor, more places to hide. Maybe before adding fish or getting rid of fish you could make that switch to a larger tank and let them settle in before deciding what to add.

Byron 07-05-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommaso889 (Post 417339)
soo heres the my plan as my plec and algae eater are still able to fit in the tank i shall keep them (untill they grow out of it ) and then possibly getting a bigger tank a swapping them at the pet shop. as for my gourami i have been thinking of getting rid of them for a while as they are get aggressive towards eachother and other fish but then i need to decide what to replace them with :)

This is an example of why potentially-large fish should not be kept in small tanks at any time except as a temporary measure.

Keeping such fish in too small a tank until they "grow out of it" is not responsible. I am sorry to sound harsh, but the fact is that fish are living creatures for which the aquarist takes on the responsibility of providing what they need to be healthy. And as fish grow all their lives and continue to develop, they suffer internal problems from too small a space at the beginning. It is more than just the physical area of the tank. The damage being done to the fish in your tank now may not be outwardly noticeable, but it is going to mean health problems and likely early death.

The algae eater will grow to 6+ inches and become quite aggressive, plus they don't eat algae when they mature (assuming as earlier this is the common algae eater and not the Siamese--which also gets large but at least eats algae).

The pleco if a common one will be 12-18 inches and needs space now to grow and develop properly. Fish that are in too small an environment develop internal organ issues (called stunting), frequently become aggressive, and contract diseases they would otherwise fend off because of their weakened immune system from the stress.

Blue Gourami attain 6 inches, often 4-5 in aquaria, and need at least a 33g (3-foot) tank for a pair. Their aggression is normal, but will be intensified in too small a space (a 15g) and this again weakens the fish and causes problems for everyone in the tank, as you have witnessed.

The redtail shark needs more space, enough said.

The corydoras are shoaling fish that have a social structure within their group and need companions to be healthy. Three is a minimum number, 5-6 would be better. But first you need to decide what sort of aquarium you want before adding more fish that may not work.

Which brings me to the puffers--what type are they? Some require brackish water, some don't. They are not "community" fish in that they are pretty much a species aquarium fish, with the invertebrates another member mentioned.

Byron.

jaysee 07-05-2010 04:21 PM

+1

I think pea puffers are freshwater, but it doesn't matter. They are not community fish - puffers take bites out of other fish.

The culmination of bad stocking like that is chronic disease and death - not a fun fishkeeping experience.