Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Vivariums and Reptiles (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/)
-   -   New animal, guess what it is. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/new-animal-guess-what-46448/)

fishfreak2009 07-03-2010 10:17 PM

New animal, guess what it is.

I got a new animal yesterday for $15, let's see if you guys can guess what it is. It climbs very well, it hisses when you try to pick it up (but doesn't bite), moves extremely fast, the skin is very bumpy, and is named Dundee. Let's see who gets it first.

kimpossible 07-03-2010 10:21 PM

My guess is some type of lizard.

jclee 07-03-2010 11:50 PM

Gekko gecko; i.e. the Tokay gecko.

willow 07-04-2010 04:14 AM

i was going to say Tokay,but when you said it dosen't bite..............
thinking that Tokays are mean little boogers....i don't know now. ???????

kitten_penang 07-04-2010 06:16 AM

i think it's a gecko =)

fishfreak2009 07-04-2010 05:16 PM

It's a crocodile gecko (Tarentola mauritanica)! He is very cute, and I am suprised more people don't keep them. I'll try to get pics.:-D I will say when we picked him out at the store the girl opened the lid to try and get him out. He ran out too fast for her and across the floor, under a refrigerator. The staff spent over an hour trying to coax the little guy out for me. He was hanging upside down on the bottom!

willow 07-05-2010 03:24 AM

congrats on the new addition.
look forward to the pictures.

bobtard 07-05-2010 05:58 PM

Very nice! It's a shame that more people aren't keeping and breeding these neat little geckos...they're worth breeding!

fishfreak2009 07-05-2010 08:57 PM

Turns out the store had him mislabeled and that he is actually a white spotted gecko. It's from the same family though, and it has almost identical care. The prices are about the same for either animal as well so I guess it's fine I just wish some of my local fish/reptile stores had at least some idea on reptile I.D.s... :roll:

willow 07-06-2010 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtard (Post 417852)
Very nice! It's a shame that more people aren't keeping and breeding these neat little geckos...they're worth breeding!

hello and welcome bobtard,have you got any reptiles ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishfreak2009 (Post 417978)
Turns out the store had him mislabeled and that he is actually a white spotted gecko. It's from the same family though, and it has almost identical care. The prices are about the same for either animal as well so I guess it's fine I just wish some of my local fish/reptile stores had at least some idea on reptile I.D.s... :roll:

not good on the store,you could have given him the wrong invironment and lost him :(