Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Foggy Tank! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/foggy-tank-46398/)

jonny steele 07-03-2010 10:38 AM

Foggy Tank!

ok, i have a 55g tank with sand and its been running for just over a month or 2 now. Ill clean the water and the tank will be crystal clear, then once i feed them, the next day its cloudy again. And stays cloudy. Ill clean the tank again 50% water change and its clear again, then cloudy in a day or two.

Im using a marineland filter rated for 75g and have many live plants.

Tank stock:

1 blood parrot
1 pleco
1 goldfish
2 electric chichids
3 cory fish
2 fiddler crabs
1 black knife

JohnnyD44 07-03-2010 10:40 AM

Hi Jonny,

Lets see if we can figure this out...
What is your water change schedule? is the 50% weekly like your talking about here? (if so, that great)
What is your feeding schedule? How much and how often?
What are your water parameters, ammonia,nitrite,nitrate....

Johnny

jonny steele 07-03-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 416637)
Hi Jonny,

Lets see if we can figure this out...
What is your water change schedule? is the 50% weekly like your talking about here? (if so, that great)
What is your feeding schedule? How much and how often?
What are your water parameters, ammonia,nitrite,nitrate....

Johnny

50% weekly
i feed them once in morning and once at night, not sure how to tell you how much i feed them. I feed them about 15 small pellets, a few pinches of flake food and a few pinchs of chichlid pellet flakes.

My ammonia always reads high since my test kit picks up the water cond when i put it in after the water change, not sure how to get a good reason?

JohnnyD44 07-03-2010 10:53 AM

what kind of conditioner are you using? most conditioners will assimilate ammonia into ammonium quickley....I don't think that would give off a ammonia reading in your test kit.

if you have high ammonia in your water, that could lead to higher nitrates, which in turn could lead to cloudly water...ammonia forms through a few things, one of those being excess food and waste...

pleco's and goldfish produce alot of waste...you may be seeing high ammonia from a mixture of both overfeeding and the amount of waste produced from your pleco and goldfish.

can you get a reading of your water now? if you haven't already changed the tank and added conditioner? an exact reading would be best.

Johnny

jonny steele 07-03-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 416647)
what kind of conditioner are you using? most conditioners will assimilate ammonia into ammonium quickley....I don't think that would give off a ammonia reading in your test kit.

if you have high ammonia in your water, that could lead to higher nitrates, which in turn could lead to cloudly water...ammonia forms through a few things, one of those being excess food and waste...

pleco's and goldfish produce alot of waste...you may be seeing high ammonia from a mixture of both overfeeding and the amount of waste produced from your pleco and goldfish.

can you get a reading of your water now? if you haven't already changed the tank and added conditioner? an exact reading would be best.

Johnny

Im using API Stress Zyme, its suppose to add aloe and a water conditioner. I just tested the ammonia now, its reads 0.25. I havnt dont my water change yet.

JohnnyD44 07-03-2010 11:27 AM

i would do a water change right now, ammonia is toxic to fish at any level....it's possible your tank is still cycling, also....

API Stress Zyme isn't really a water conditioner, it is more-less a bottle of beneficial bacteria, and is meant to jump start a cycle..

API Stress Coat is the stuff you need to be using if taking the API approach. Stress Coat is the actual conditioner with added aloe vera for the fish's gills. Some people do not like using the aloe vera additive to this product because an overdose and clog the fish's gills, which are necessary for respiratory actions.

Are you using coat or zyme? If you're not using stress coat, you're not really conditioning the water, your adding beneficial bacteria (which is good), but the stress coat is made to remove all toxins, chlorine, ammonia and metals from your tap water...

If you're using stress zyme, I'd pick up a bottle of coat. I personally prefer PRIME over API stress coat, but it's a personal preference..

jonny steele 07-03-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 416658)
i would do a water change right now, ammonia is toxic to fish at any level....it's possible your tank is still cycling, also....

API Stress Zyme isn't really a water conditioner, it is more-less a bottle of beneficial bacteria, and is meant to jump start a cycle..

API Stress Coat is the stuff you need to be using if taking the API approach. Stress Coat is the actual conditioner with added aloe vera for the fish's gills. Some people do not like using the aloe vera additive to this product because an overdose and clog the fish's gills, which are necessary for respiratory actions.

Are you using coat or zyme? If you're not using stress coat, you're not really conditioning the water, your adding beneficial bacteria (which is good), but the stress coat is made to remove all toxins, chlorine, ammonia and metals from your tap water...

If you're using stress zyme, I'd pick up a bottle of coat. I personally prefer PRIME over API stress coat, but it's a personal preference..

Sorry, i am using stress coat, i also use syme, i get them mixed up, but yes, stress coat for the water cond. Maybe my tank is still cycling, i dont know. Ill do the water change too. Also, not sure if it matters, my blood parrot just dug a hole and layed tons of eggs on a rock last night.

jonny steele 07-08-2010 11:02 AM

ok, did a 50% water change, ammonia at zero and water still cloudy, hmmmmm