Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Agressive balloon molly... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/agressive-balloon-molly-46341/)

Austin 07-02-2010 12:34 AM

Agressive balloon molly...

This one male balloon molly has become very agressive lately. He chases after all my maybe 3/4 inch long baby platies. I added 3 and he chases them around sometimes and no they are not small enough to be eaten or even close.

What can I do to stop his aggressiveness? He's even aggressive to the larger fish.

Is the stress he is causing my baby fish going to be bad for them?

kitten_penang 07-02-2010 02:28 AM

of course it's stressful.imagine if you got bullied all day with no where to hide or run.. removing it is the easiest way.

kitten_penang 07-02-2010 02:29 AM

or get a larger tank.maybe it's territorial that's all

Austin 07-04-2010 07:51 PM

I don't have anywhere else he can go. I can't let him stress out my baby fish to the point they get sick and die. :( I don't know what to do with him. I really like him and hes a beautiful fish.... do you know any way to stop this aggressive behavior? He was fine before.

He lost his "girlfriend" recently, but there is still a female in the tank. But he never chases her. He only used to chase the one that died. Would another female molly help maybe?

TexasTanker 07-05-2010 01:03 AM

I too noticed this with my molly fish. It seemed that they were terribly aggressive, even in a large planted, understocked tank. I never nailed down what caused it as it was the precursor to them picking the wrong fight and each dying individually. My top 3 guesses were territorial, undersexed, or mad fish disease. I made up the disease but with all the molly that died they seemed to almost wake up one day and feel ten feet tall and bulletproof. They seemed to go off the deep end by picking on my blue platy triplets. who, in turn teamed up and went after the molly.

Anyhow, My one surviving female molly is now in a tank away from the platy and guppy. She lives with Zebra Danio and seems to have gotten a new lease on life, as she now schools about with them and seems be a peaceful fish again.

I'd suggest either a tank divider or rehome, since more tanks aren't on your horizon.

Austin 07-05-2010 01:30 AM

I could set up my 5g tank for him but I really don't want to...

I also think Mad Fish Disease is a disease... sometimes my fish seem to go crazy.......

Thinking of buying a female balloon molly for him. But, I'd only want to do that if it'd help him become less aggressive. The last thing I need is more fish. I am becoming overrun with babies. XD

kitten_penang 07-07-2010 07:01 AM

maybe take out all the fish then move the problem molly in last. that way his old territory will be belong to someone else and he'll be less likely to fight over territory since he needs to find his new place in an already established tank.wheres he's a newbie.
people have try this before with problem territorial fishes and it has been proven to work.just like what the texas tanker did.he moved his molly into another tank where he's the new comer and is below the danios in the pecking order.