Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Starting Again (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/starting-again-46306/)

Welsh 07-01-2010 01:41 PM

Starting Again

My tank has always been overstocked 17 fish in a 12 gallon tank overstocked to be precise and now I want a fresh start. I have researched online until my brain hurts but I still have no idea what fish to put in the tank. I have kept one fish from the 17 and thats a HM cellophane female betta, I want the tank to be as colourful as possible so here is a stocking list suggestion, please reccommend :)

1 Female Betta
6 Neon Tetra

I don't know what else I can put in there or even if what I have suggested is too much

Thanks

Castro235 07-01-2010 08:20 PM

I don't know very much about their needs and care, but female bettas can be housed together, so you might consider doing a female betta tank and picking out some colorful ones you like.

sik80 07-02-2010 04:38 AM

http://aqadvisor.com/ is a useful site for estimating stocking levels. best to use it as a rough guide though and try to stock lower than 100% - it also gives some indication of which fish are compatible with which other

Welsh 07-02-2010 09:10 AM

I actually just got rid of my female bettas but couldn't bring myself to give my HM away lol May I'm just stupid but I can't use aqua advisor lol

Thanks for the help though :)

Welsh 07-02-2010 10:57 AM

So I have been browsing online and have seen tanks that I love which has now got me thinking that I want a tetra or guppy tank. How is this list?

5 Neon Tetra
5 Cardinal Tetra
5 Glowlight Tetra

OR

5 Neon Tetra
5 Cardinal Tetra
3 Fancy Guppies.

If anyone wants to mix it up a bit for me to have more options I would highly appreciate it :)

Byron 07-02-2010 12:25 PM

When considering fish species the first consideratin is water parameters. In the fish you mention, there are non-compatible fish that should not be in the same aquarium solely due to requiring different water parameters. The cardinal tetra and guppy are the two that should never be together. Guppies are basic harder water fish, while the cardinal is about as opposite as you can get, requiring very soft acidic water to be healthy. Check out our fish profiles for more info on this [click on shaded fish names to go to the profile].

Neon tetra and Glowlight tetra are largely commercially raised and thus somewhat adaptable to basic water that is not too hard. This is mentioned in the profiles of these fish too.

Aside from water, once that is sorted out, there is space. Tetras are shoaling fish that must be in groups, minimum is usually considered to be 6 but more is better. In a 12g one of these would work, as they are not active swimming fish so lengthy tanks for swimming room is not an issue. Cardinals (6) in a well-planted 12g with a dark sand or gravel substrate and floating plants (they need this) would be stunning; provided the water is soft and acidic. Six neons or glowlights [not both] would work well and could manage with slightly basic water (or soft and acidic of course).

Byron.

Welsh 07-02-2010 02:52 PM

Sorry to be a pain with all my questions, I just have no clue when it comes to stocking a tank I wish it was as easy as decorating lol.

I didn't realise there were so many different tetras, now I want them all :) Different colours for the tank would be great so I don't know why I chose cardinals and neons when they are so similar lol.

Byron 07-02-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welsh (Post 416296)
Sorry to be a pain with all my questions, I just have no clue when it comes to stocking a tank I wish it was as easy as decorating lol.

I didn't realise there were so many different tetras, now I want them all :) Different colours for the tank would be great so I don't know why I chose cardinals and neons when they are so similar lol.

I didn't comment on that, but in my experience the two species do not seem to fit together. Aside from this very subjective view, there is the issue of water temp. Neons cannot tolerate warmer aquaria like cardinals can. The latter can be quite happy in "normal" community temp aquaria, around 77-79F, but they can also mange well at higher temps which is why they make such good companions to discus and the common blue ram which both require 82+ temps. These would burn out the neons in no time, they are more comfortable around 75-77.

Water parameters is probably the single most important aspect of deciding which fish to combine in the same tank, yet it is something that is frequently not even thought of. All "tropical fish" are not the same when it comes to water, be it pH, hardness or temperature.

If you go through our profiles, you will find many (probably most) of the commonly-seen tetras (in the characins sections obviously). The Ember Tetra is one you should consider for a smaller tank, they are one of the few "dwarf" tetras. Along the same lines but in a different order are the dwarf rasbora in the Boraras genus, under the cyprinids. Very colourful, we only have a species or two listed so far, but there are others though rarely seen. Soft water though. Or the Celestial Pearl Danio, another dwarf, and one that is well suited to basic water if that is what you have. Check out the profiles, there's lots to choose from.

Byron.