Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Fin-Nipping? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/fin-nipping-4626/)

Flatcoatluver 03-29-2007 03:39 PM

Fin-Nipping?

I have a tank with 1 male, 7 female guppies, 1 dward platy, and 3 tetras. I put one of my females in the birthing tank because most of her back tail fin is gone, I don't know which fish did it but I am wondering if it's because I am not feeding the fish enough. Just recently I started feeding them 2x a day instead of once a day. Just about 2 weeks ago I moved them into a 30 gallon. She is a little smaller from the other fish, but I bought her at a reputable fish store. Any suggestions will be so much appreciated. Also what can I do to make her feel better. She is still swimming around and everything.

Falina 03-29-2007 03:44 PM

melafix is a good medicine for healing nipped fins and since its natural its safe to add to your tank without damaging any beneficial bacteria or stressing the fish with chemicals. it also means its safe to treat the whole tank rather than having to quarantine a fish.

tetras can be nippy. id keep an eye on them though i dont know why theyd have picked on the one fish. was she well otherwise? i know you said she was smaller but was she as healthy? if a fish is sick at all it could affect its ability to swim away from nippers

Flatcoatluver 03-29-2007 03:57 PM

Before this all happened, she seemed pretty good. She still is doing great, swimming fine but still separated. She is eating fine. I have aquarium salt that I put in with her, but I should get some melafix? Do they have it at wal-mart? I was going to go there tonight anyway and pick up a cheap heater so I can separate the platy and tetras from the guppies. Each tetra are a different breed, so could that be causing problems too?

Falina 03-29-2007 04:01 PM

tetras can be nippy like i said but the nippiness is magnified if they are not in a shoal so i would definitely suspect them. i have no idea if they sell it in walmart sorry as we dont have walmart in the uk. i assume its just a petstore, in which case i would certaibly imagine that they will sell it.

if you are using salt this will be suficient. i dont think theres any need for both. i just prefer melafix because im always so nervous of using salt thoguh you were right to use it. its a good way of healing any wounds on fishes.

seperating them could be a good idea. if you have a big enough tank i would get shoals of them 6 of each but thats totally dependant on your tank size.

good luck to you and i hope your fishes tail gets better.

Flatcoatluver 03-29-2007 04:19 PM

I am putting them in a ten gallon. I have 1 black skirt, 1 red eye tetra, 1 mixed fruit (I know it's really bad to support dyed fish, I didn't know at the time they were, and I won't get anymore.) So if I put them in the ten gallon do I still have room to put more in. Should I keep the dwarf platy in the guppy tank or are they nippy too?

Falina 03-29-2007 04:38 PM

platys are not nippy no, i would put her/him with the guppies. in a 10g you dont have room for 6 of each, no, but maybe get a couple more of each (though not the dyed one obviously as supporting this will only lead to it happening more) if it were me id return 2 and then have a shoal of 6 of one type of tetra but i understand you might not want to do that. i would put maybe another 2 black skirts and another 2 or 3 red eye. it will help a bit. i know the black skirts get bigger than other tetras but i think im right in saying the red eyes stay small?

Quote:

1 mixed fruit (I know it's really bad to support dyed fish, I didn't know at the time they were, and I won't get anymore.)
youre right not to support it anymore because its a horrible and cruel trade. i hope that yours is one of the very few that will go on to live a healthy life after its horrible ordeal. it can happen that the fish is dyed and you dont know about it, its not your fault. sorry that this has happened to you.

Flatcoatluver 03-29-2007 05:15 PM

Ok I will get two more black skirts and 2 more red eyes. I wish they didn't dye the fruit tetras because I really like the shape of them. :(

Falina 03-29-2007 05:21 PM

if you find out what kind of tetra they are you could get them instead, but just the un-dyed ones.

Flatcoatluver 03-29-2007 08:15 PM

I'm back with two black skirt tetras. They didn't have any red eyes, but I have them all seperated from the guppies and they seem to be doing better!

Falina 03-29-2007 08:18 PM

glad to hear theyre doing better.

is it walmart that is selling these dyed fish? and also, i always thoguht walmart was an american supermarket, but is it actually a pet shop?