Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Little Sand Problem. Help Please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/little-sand-problem-help-please-46229/)

JohnnyD 06-29-2010 05:54 PM

Little Sand Problem. Help Please

4 Attachment(s)
Recently my sand has started to turn green and stick together almost in sheets. Its only doing this in the very front of my tank and every where I have searched to try and figure out why its doing this it says it might be because there isnt enough flow there. Thats not the case here because there is plenty of flow in the front of my tank and it even blows the sand away sometimes.

All my parameters are pretty good:
Salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.3
Alk: 2-2.5 meq/L
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
Calcium: 450
Ammonia: 0

Any idea what is causing this? Here are some pictures taken on a phone, so the color is a little off and the quality is decent at best:

tanks4thememories 06-30-2010 01:43 PM

How long has the tank been set up?
What type of sand do you have?
Has anything changed or been added just before this started?
How many hours per day do you leave the light on?

TexasTanker 06-30-2010 02:32 PM

Is it live sand?

tanks4thememories 06-30-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasTanker (Post 415071)
Is it live sand?

All sand and rock is eventually 'Live" after it has been in a marine aquarium long enough. Unfortunately all "live" sand is not made of the same materials because people choose different ways and materials to start their aquariums.

JohnnyD 06-30-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanks4thememories (Post 415039)
How long has the tank been set up?
What type of sand do you have?
Has anything changed or been added just before this started?
How many hours per day do you leave the light on?

Tank has been up since late November-early December. I bought live sand from the LFS, paid like 5 extra bucks for the "pre-rinsed" sand which clouded up anyway haha. I havent added anything in a while. The last thing I added was the 6 line wrasse and that was probably late april-early may. Actitics come on an hour before and stay on an hour longer than the rest of the lights, which are on for 12 hours a day.

onefish2fish 06-30-2010 05:50 PM

try adding a dozen nassarious snails to help stir the sand bed

tanks4thememories 06-30-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 415209)
Tank has been up since late November-early December. I bought live sand from the LFS, paid like 5 extra bucks for the "pre-rinsed" sand which clouded up anyway haha. I havent added anything in a while. The last thing I added was the 6 line wrasse and that was probably late april-early may. Actitics come on an hour before and stay on an hour longer than the rest of the lights, which are on for 12 hours a day.

Hmmm. See if this sounds like your problem?
http://www.fishtankforums.com/posts/...689-post5.html

JohnnyD 07-01-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanks4thememories (Post 415244)
Hmmm. See if this sounds like your problem?
http://www.fishtankforums.com/posts/...689-post5.html

Yea, i came across that post when i was googling it. This would have to be a last resort for me I guess because I am worried about my corals with this method. I tried just scooping out all the sand and giving it a little stir myself. We will see if this had any benefit or not.

tanks4thememories 07-01-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 415648)
Yea, i came across that post when i was googling it. This would have to be a last resort for me I guess because I am worried about my corals with this method. I tried just scooping out all the sand and giving it a little stir myself. We will see if this had any benefit or not.

Ok sorry I couldn't be more help. I am still researching it myself. I have never seen anything like that before...lol
I'm curious Are the clumps hard or spongy?

JohnnyD 07-01-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanks4thememories (Post 415655)
Ok sorry I couldn't be more help. I am still researching it myself. I have never seen anything like that before...lol
I'm curious Are the clumps hard or spongy?

No need to apologize. I appreciate all your help. Yea, it is pretty interesting haha. The clumps are soft, but it stays in tact pretty well in the form of sheets that are about a quarter inch thick. The top of the sheet is a little harder than the bottom tho.

I dunno if this assumption is correct, but it might be some kind of algae. The only reason I think this is because the bubble algae on one of my live rocks is also flourishing... almost so much im beginning to worry it wont stop haha. Maybe the conditions in my tank are overly favorable to algae at the moment for some reason? Just a thought...