Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   sand ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/sand-4617/)

sub0 03-29-2007 12:05 PM

sand ?

Hello all :)

I would like to redo my fresh water 100 gal. tank with sand and grow some plants with it. But there are so many different types. I am looking for some sand which is as white as possible and very very small like sugar size. Sugar size are they 1.7 mm size ?
And what type of sand should I get. I find a local store here selling some
sand basting sand which they claim are very white or cream white and the size is 1.7mm. Are they o.k ?

Thanks !

Sub0

usmc121581 03-29-2007 01:50 PM

I am a saltwater reef keeper but have kept freshwater in the past. The sand will destroy the impeller of the filter. Not saying its bad all together. The fish love it, its just the grits of sand will get sucked up by the filter and tear up the magnet on the impeller. There is no way to stop this. Also plant roots wont get a good hold to secure there selfs down.

wejlick1 03-29-2007 01:54 PM

yea

i loke the look of sand but i have it in 2 tanks and ever week i have to like de-sand the filter..... i hate it and love it.

sub0 03-29-2007 02:47 PM

Humm,
Thank you for the reply. I think I better think twice before I make this move (to Sand). I was wonder if I hang the filter higher up may be it wouldn't such up the sand. Specially I have guppies and neons in my tank only. They can't strip up the sand

Thanks !

Sub0

usmc121581 03-29-2007 05:14 PM

wont work. The fish will kick up the sand and thats when the sand grits get sucked into the filter.

Holly 03-29-2007 06:51 PM

I have sand in my 30g and don't have a problem. I keep the area by the filter with a VERY thin layer of sand so it doesn't get sucked up. I also have a cave a few inches away from the intake on the filter so no one swims back there too fast so nothing gets kicked up. My guppies and swords love it. Haven't had a problem with the plants either. I very carfully just push my finger in the sand each time I do a water change to make sure it doesn't get compacted. I think it stays cleaner since there's really no creveses for gunk to fall in and hide. My shrimp take care of what's missed. I like the look of small stone gravel now more since I've been looking at the sand for 8 months now but I really don't have any complaints.

herefishy 03-29-2007 08:05 PM

Why not use a coarser sand rather than fine sand? You said you were wanting to change in order to be able to place plants in the tank. You really don't need to do that. You would need to add a growing medium for the plants to root. Sand isn't the best for that. Also, by changing substrates, you may run the risk of having to recycle your tank. Your tanks substrate is the largest media for "housing" you biological filter. Changing it could cause a problem.

soco1125 03-29-2007 11:11 PM

do go with a coarser grain if you want sand... fine sand can become easily compacted and choke your plants' roots. and maybe try putting some larger flat stones on top of the sand around the filter intake to keep it from getting stirred up so bad in that area. whatever you buy, make sure it hasn't been chemically treated or won't alter the ph of your water.

sub0 03-30-2007 12:18 AM

Thank you all, I was thinking about using silica sand (1.7mm) which will give me more white color or there is another type call unimin silica sand which is more crystal clear color. I have to see the color of the sand in person first before I go for it.

Will go to a local fish store here. They have a few display maybe they can help me a little.

Sub0

Holly 03-30-2007 12:32 PM

I like the sound of the crystal sand. i'm going to look into that myself and maybe mix some in. I used a 2 bags of white sand and 1 of black so it looks more realistic but the crystal sand would make it perfect. :lol: