Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Moving suggestions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/moving-suggestions-46121/)

paxt0n 06-28-2010 01:15 AM

Moving suggestions

Hello everyone!

I am moving in a few days, and I would like any advice that anyone has to offer about moving my fish and aquarium.

About 10 years ago, when I thought all there was to fish keeping was putting water in a tank, putting fish in it, and feeding them, I had a 10-gallon loaded with WAY too many fish. I just drained about 3/4 of the water out of the tank, tossed it in a uhaul trailer and drove across the country. Surprisingly, all of the fish survived!

Now that I know a bit more, I realize that probably wasn't the best way to move them.

Anyway, I just have a 10-gallon with snails, some other fishes and a betta.

I'm only moving about a mile away, so would it be OK to do what I did before...just drain a majority of the water out of the tank and leave the fish in it?

Or would it be better to take them out? If so, should I get some bags from the fish store and bag them up? Put them all in a bucket (probably not with the betta - he'd kill everyone)?

One other thing: Do I need to worry about the "bio-holster" in my filter when moving? Do I need to leave water in the filter in order for the bacteria to survive?

Thanks in advance for your help! :-P

Thanks in advance for your help!

1077 06-28-2010 01:24 AM

In a ten gallon tank, I would think removing a portion of water and leaving the fish in the tank would be fine considering you are only moving a mile?
Would add a battery operated air stone perhaps to the tank during the move. have used these myself and they are often found in fishing department at Walmart.
Would remove the Bio-holster if possible and leave it in the aquarium water during the move or as you suggested fill it with aquarium water .
Would try to make the move quick and get the tank back up and running as soon as I could at the new place.
In this way the temp won't drop too awfully much and bacteria won't begin to die off.;-)

paxt0n 06-28-2010 01:32 AM

Thanks..

as always! I think you've answered about every single one of my posts, and helped me get my tank cycled, when I first got it.

I appreciate it! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

1077 06-28-2010 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxt0n (Post 413677)
as always! I think you've answered about every single one of my posts, and helped me get my tank cycled, when I first got it.

I appreciate it! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

You are welcome. It is my aim to help folks avoid problems and enjoy the hobby as much as I do.:-)