Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   platy pregnant AGAIN! Pic heavy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/platy-pregnant-again-pic-heavy-46028/)

britnyjackson 06-26-2010 11:12 PM

platy pregnant AGAIN! Pic heavy

10 Attachment(s)
Pregnant again!! How many time can they make themselves pregnant before their done?? I have no more males in the tank.

amberjade 06-27-2010 08:09 AM

Whoa! They are HUGE! And about to drop! lol

They can have about 6 batches of fry from one mating. Glad I'm not a livebearer fish! lol

Can you take some of the fry (once they are grown) to your LFS for credits?

biokid101 06-27-2010 08:30 AM

i wish my platies were pregnant like that :( i cant even get them to have babies so im done with buying platies..im just gonna get guppies again..maybe if i like the platies i will get more but nno males they dont do anything!

Betta gladiator 07-02-2010 07:16 AM

Guppies breed very easily, but you have to put alot of hiding places because the adult fish think they're mosquito larvae and they eat them. The same thing could be happening to your platties if your tank doesn't have enough hidding places they get eaten.:|

britnyjackson 07-03-2010 12:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
She finally popped...haha....here are some pics of her new fry. Lots surviving since I placed some fake floating plants in the 29 gal!

skryzkij 07-20-2010 12:21 PM

platy's belly never went down after giving birth 2 weeks ago. More babies?

:-? I bought a pregnant platy about 3 weeks ago and she dropped fry 2 weeks ago, but her belly never went down and she has a big gravid spot. She shows all the signs of platys about to pop; racing around looking for a spot, etc. Since she just gave birth could she just be fat or can I expect more fry in about 2 weeks?

Oldman47 07-20-2010 11:44 PM

Platies, as with many common poeciliids, can carry sperm packets for about 6 months. That means this type of thing can go on that long or a bit more after the last male is gone from the tank.

eileen 07-21-2010 02:18 AM

My bumblebee platies have been in my 20 gal. I only kept 2 females and rehomed a pair of them. They have been in that tank for over 4 months without a male and I still see babies every month. She has a few one day and in a couple of days another few. The 2 females I kept have had 2 bumblebee platies with the black mask head and pattern I was looking for. I have 4 more tiny ones that have the same pattern. The other day I found 3 Orca patterned babies I took out and put in a breeder box as I lost my other ones a few months ago. My platy mommas do not eat their young and and they might have just died. I'm trying to keep the 2 pattern types, Orca pattern I call them my Orca babies as they look like a Orca Killer whale pattern that I have not seen in platies before. Mostly black with some white. I also like the Black masked head bumblebee pattern. I rehome the all solid yellow ones or the ones that do not have the black mask head.

I sent Mordalphus in this forum some fish on Monday, 10 Black Bar Endlers from my outside tub pond 8 fry and 2 colored up young males, 2 yellow bumblebee platy fry, and about 45+ Assassin snail babies. Would'nt you know I have more babies after I sent those. My Bumblebee platies still have the dark gravid spot so. I still do not have a male in my tank yet. Good luck in raising all your fry babies. It sure seems to be never ending.