Top fin, the joke of the trade?
Well i would like to post about my hatred of Topfin, a petsmart brand. Here are my reasons
1. Bad quality tanks, i had to return a tank since there were some chips and scratches plus the silicone wasnt tight enough so i had a bit of a leak the first time i filled it
2. Bad quality filters, my filter says its rated at 100gph, it was somewhere in the 20's, i run the outake into a 1/2 gallon container, i time it and when its full i do some simple math and determain the outake
3. Bad quality heaters, they have a long history with failing heaters, sticking in the on position and overheating tanks
4. Bad quality food, look at the nutrition value and compare it to good food companies like hikari or tetramin, even the petsmart employees say its bad
5. Bad quality ornaments, there dyed ornaments and colored gravel lose color in the tank, although not fast enough to harm fish, enough to make the gravel look ugly after a few months
Well those are my reasons, Top-fin is the best example ever of the saying "You get what you pay for."
I believe you. I recently read that Petsmart does not give their rodents the proper veterinary care they need when the animals are sick. Go to their aquariums and you will find lots of dying and dead fish too. Those poor fish are at the point of no return and should be euthanized and disposed of properly. Thanks I'll make sure never to shop there. In Kenosha, Wisconsin the best fish/aquarium stores are still the small mom and pop shops.
Chain stores are a bane to the hobby. My pity goes to those of us who MUST shop them because of a lack of the "ma and pa" shops.
oo dont get me started on petsmart i had a topfin heater violently EXPLODE
i know they sell painted gravel i had some that came with a small setup i bought in a pinch for some baby ciclids, i put it on one of the houseplants and it DISINTERGRATED on dry land,even the fine filter floss i bought instead of the jewuel type turned into a ball and broke apart leaving fibers everywere the jewel type can take a good few washes before its spent this looked like cotton wool in short they both suck and blow
Re: Top fin, the joke of the trade?
A good idea to scroll down past threads and see product reviews.:)
While I do agree that Top Fin isn't the best brand out there for aquarium products, it is not nearly as terrible as you make it out to be.
Also, when most filters have their outputs gauged, they are measured with no media. This leads to inflated values.
CD2, do you work for PetSmart?
This thread is a good lesson for everyone.
Use your Judgement at Any place you go shopping...
If you see something that looks wrong..mention it to the staff!
If you decide to go back, days later, and it's still the same...go somewhere else.
This situation is in reverse where I live(IMHO).
The local "Mom & Pop" LFS has lost my business and the Walmart gained it!
The last time I was in the LFS the kid working there, when I mentioned the dead fish in alot of the tanks, told me "The half eaten Puffer fish is half price".
The last time I was at the Walmart I got the distinct impression that someone cared about how they treated the fish!
Not one overstocked tank!
Not one dead fish in any of them either!
Every Fish looked healthy!
I'd rather shop at a place like that...then shop at a place where you have to look for awhile to find a healthy fish :wink:
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.