Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Finding a mate for my mature Red Devil... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/finding-mate-my-mature-red-devil-4594/)

sxebombshell 03-28-2007 01:42 PM

Finding a mate for my mature Red Devil...

She is about 2.5 years old, and just gorgeous. I've never bred fish (except convicts, which is apparently an add water, get babies situation) before but I consider myself to be a responsible owner and I have a local shop as well as some friends lined up who would be interested in any fry.

Problem is finding her a mate. She has never had a tankmate, and is about 8" long. Most things I've read say to let them pair off on their own from juveniles, and that they are (obviously) aggressive about these things. I dont want to injure her or any male I get in the introduction. Does anyone have any ideas, recommendation or experience in this situation? Should I abandon the idea of breeding her?

bolty 03-28-2007 02:29 PM

have a devider or 2nd tank in hand just incase

b4 you put a male in you tank with her move the decore around and add some new stuff, then she will not have to defend "her" tank/Territory

also i hear that it is better to have a bigger male 2 a smaller female so he can make her submissive to breed, that said iv seen some small male big female breedings work out.

SinisterKisses 03-28-2007 04:00 PM

Well, to start with, you're going to need a 6ft tank...at least 125gal, nothing smaller. And then, as already suggested, I would do the divider technique. The odds of two adult fish accepting each other are pretty slim, so I'd divide the tank in half and keep one on either side - at least until you can figure out how they react to each other.

sxebombshell 03-28-2007 04:17 PM

thanks for your quick responses!

I'm going to have to move her from my house to a new apartment anyway. shes in a 55 now but i was considering having a 90 or 125 tank, a divider, and a boyfriend for her when she gets there instead of moving her existing tank.

but i'm considering the odds of her rejecting a given male and injuring each other (even supervised) being pretty high.... might not be worth it. I'll have to mull it over, but anyone else with any comments, please!

Gump 03-28-2007 04:50 PM

Putting two adults together isnt to hard, but in a 55 gallon tank is not going to happen. 100-135 gallon would be a good size and to be safe id use a divider so they can check each other out and get to know one another before they breed.

SinisterKisses 03-29-2007 12:05 AM

A 90gal really isn't large enough, it really does need to be a 6ft tank.

As adults, your likelyhood of pairing them up without damage to her or the male (most likely her) is pretty slim. Especially if they are both fish who are accustomed to living alone. I know how you feel...I have a beautiful 8" flowerhorn female that I've debated trying to pair up with one of my midas males, but in the long run, I'm simply not willing to risk the potential damage to her.