Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Any tips for feeding cories? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/any-tips-feeding-cories-45921/)

Promelas 06-25-2010 04:06 PM

Any tips for feeding cories?

I always seem to have trouble getting the 6 cories I have enough food to eat. There are 3 mollies in the tank that always eventually bully the cories away from any sinking algae wafers I put in the tank. I've tried using whole wafers, breaking them up into numerous chunks, nighttime feeding, and simultaneous feeding but the end result always seems to be the same.

The poor guys don't look nearly as healthy as when I originally got them, and most of them are going through some stages of fin rot although I think I have that taken care of and they're starting to recover. They do get some bloodworms and brine shrimp as well, but everything in the tank eats those up fast so there isn't much time for the cories to get their fill.

Any suggestions would be great, they're my favorite fish and I don't like to see them struggling!

kitten_penang 06-25-2010 06:47 PM

maybe get them a hiding place that's only big enough for them to get in but not the mollies and put the food in there for them.

squilky 06-25-2010 08:55 PM

Im not sure how well Mollies see in the dark, but I usually feed my corys at night?They have a strong sense of smell and can find the food, even in a dark tank. Or drop the wafer and then feed the mollies at the same time at the other end of the tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

Calmwaters 06-25-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squilky (Post 412366)
drop the wafer and then feed the mollies at the same time at the other end of the tank.

This is what I do in my 44 gallon with my corys, platys, female bettas, and swordtails in it and it seems to work well.

kitten_penang 06-26-2010 07:42 AM

she did both maybe she din't try feeding over different sides maybe that will work =) hope it does for the cory's...

Promelas 06-26-2010 09:01 AM

I'll give feeding over both sides of the tank a shot and see if that helps!! Mollies can still key in on food quite well in the dark since in a natural setting they must rely on smell more than vision since most water isn't nearly as clear as aquarium water!

kitten_penang 06-26-2010 09:13 AM

good luck =) just fed my arowanas..the big ones having a field day with the feeder carps lol

Promelas 06-26-2010 09:15 AM

Hah! Now that sounds like an awesome feeding session! I wish I had enough room for some large predators!

kitten_penang 06-26-2010 09:21 AM

solitary predators lol not much of a tank coz the scarcely vegetation if any.. but feeding time is always nice they wait like puppies and kinda wag their tails/fins too

LisaC144 06-26-2010 09:25 AM

Yup, I usually feed my fish first on the right side of the tank, then while they're occupied with eating I drop either sinking granules, shrimp pellets, or algae wafers in for the bottom feeders on the opposite side. This gives the food enough time to sink to the bottom while the other fish are busy eating on their side. If you do this method, you'll see after about a week the cory's will know that when the food drops on the one side for the fish, that their food is next on the opposite side of the tank. My bottom feeders now huddle on the left side of the tank when I feed the fish on the right.