Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Tips on decreasing water temperature (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/tips-decreasing-water-temperature-45895/)

paxt0n 06-25-2010 12:09 AM

Tips on decreasing water temperature

Hello,

I have usually kept my tank at 76 degrees, but recently turned my heater down a couple of degrees to slow the growth of my snails.

Unfortunately, the temperature seems to be shooting up now! I realize it is summer now, and I don't have A/C (not needed, because I live in Seattle), but it hasn't even been above 75 here yet.

This morning, right when the aquarium light turned on, it was just below 80. When I got home from work, it was about 81! My tank has never been this hot. :shock:

The heater is now turned all the way down. Also, it doesn't even get that hot in the room, as I leave the window open all day long.

So, does anyone have any ideas on how to maintain a cooler water temperature?

By the way, I have the light on 12 hours a day, and the aquarium is near a window, which has a quilt covering it (except for a small portion where the window is open.

Thanks, in advance, for your suggestions!

1077 06-25-2010 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxt0n (Post 411877)
Hello,

I have usually kept my tank at 76 degrees, but recently turned my heater down a couple of degrees to slow the growth of my snails.

Unfortunately, the temperature seems to be shooting up now! I realize it is summer now, and I don't have A/C (not needed, because I live in Seattle), but it hasn't even been above 75 here yet.

This morning, right when the aquarium light turned on, it was just below 80. When I got home from work, it was about 81! My tank has never been this hot. :shock:

The heater is now turned all the way down. Also, it doesn't even get that hot in the room, as I leave the window open all day long.

So, does anyone have any ideas on how to maintain a cooler water temperature?

By the way, I have the light on 12 hours a day, and the aquarium is near a window, which has a quilt covering it (except for a small portion where the window is open.

Thanks, in advance, for your suggestions!

First ,I might check the temp with another thermometer, just to be sure the reading was/is accurate.
Some folks have placed fans near their tanks to blow accross surface of the water to cool them.
Depending on fishes ,80 degrees may or may not be too awfully uncomfortable.
We can also sometimes turn heater knob in wrong direction if not careful and increase the temp rather than lower it so this might be something to check? (not saying you did this, but I have.)

zof 06-25-2010 06:52 PM

I'd take the heater out (or unplug it) for a couple of hours and see if the temp goes down, might be a broken knob on the heater, also like 1077 said use 2 thermometers to assure its not that issue.

Byron 06-25-2010 07:09 PM

Sounds to me like your heater is malfunctioning. The outside temp is not hot and your tank temp went high after you adjusted the heater. I had the same issue a couple of years ago, and fried my fish when the heater malfunctioned overnight and didn't shut off. I would disconnect the heater to confirm and then buy another.

You don't indicate the size of tank, but the smaller heaters (50w and 75w) tend to malfunction more often than the larger. I have never had issues with my 150w and 200w heaters in the larger tanks, but more than one 50w has failed.

You also don't mention fish species; while most can manage with higher temps short-term, some will suffer long-term and possibly die.

I also would not risk the health of the fish by adjusting the temp either way in order to reduce snails; I'm not sure that will work anyway, I've had snails survive very well in heaterless tanks around 65-70F.

Byron.