Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Hate to do it, $300 budget... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/hate-do-300-budget-45891/)

TexasTanker 06-24-2010 10:16 PM

Hate to do it, $300 budget...

I hate to do it, but it just doesn't look like I'm going to be able to keep up the 55 gallon Texas tank. Space is at a premium in the house right now and it's taking up a lot. So, I'm going to sell the entire 55 gallon setup, stand, lights filters, accessories etc. On Craigslist I'm seeing smaller set ups go for $2-300. That being said, I do want a sizable setup, but I'm thinking tall not wide.

This is a link to one I was looking at. I know nothing about "integrated systems" however and worry that if one part breaks I'll have to scrap the top and start over. That equals $$$.

That being said.... I'm at a loss as to what would be aesthetic and still appeal to my big need for big tank. I will be keeping my ten cory cats, 2 gold gourami, 1 betta, and possibly the zebra danio (that I had to have for two months and finally got).... I'm just so irritated with this house. I'd love to move out entirely then move back in LOL. Cause that's what's gonna have to happen.

Any tank suggestions?

1077 06-25-2010 01:58 AM

I have a 56 gallon column tank by Marineland that takes up considerably less room than 55 gal Long tank. It sets quite nicely in the corner of living room presently. I understand your predicament, I recently moved from a small apartment where space was at a premium but somehow managed to keep an 80 gal,56,gal,29gal, and a 20 gal. Apartment was so small ,that I could reach all the tanks with 25 foot python with the exception of the 20 gal which was placed on bedroom dresser.
Girlfriend went near ballistic when I ditched the kitchen table to make room for the 56 gal.
The 56 gallon tank is much deeper front to back than the twelve or thirteen inches that 55 gallon offers and it is a tall tank which might suit your needs.
Always go bigger when possible is my motto with respect to tanks.
Would note that I was a little dissapointed that Emperor 400 would not fit the 56 gallon due to center support but Emperor 280 fits nicely.
I thought perhaps the 56 gall column tank was possible Marine tank but in any event,It suited the Angelfish I was keeping who much prefer a taller tank.
In the apartment as mentioned, the 56 gal sat in the kitchen and in my view took up little space.
I have recently moved ,and have not decided yet where to place it in considerably larger quarters but for now,, it sets empty in living room.
I would go with 40 gal breeder over the 37 gal . but that's just me.

bones14 06-25-2010 03:36 PM

I have the 37g and am happy with it.Mine doesn't have the mirrored back and from what I've read the mirror may be stressful for the fish.Space for tanks is limited in my house too and the 37 is a good fit.

mordalphus 06-26-2010 10:59 PM

I'd get the acrylic version of the eclipse... It's a 40g tall, I just picked one up today at a local thrift store for 40 dollars. lucky me! It's a beautiful tank though, no visible seams, and doesn't distort bad like glass.

I think its between 200 and 300 dollars normally.

TexasTanker 06-28-2010 11:12 PM

I broke down and kicked the kids back into a single room. I figure if they're in my bed most nights and fighting in the living room through the day, I may as well have an office. They took the news rather well, and were eager after they saw my "grand plan" for their room.

That being said... My big predicament is moving that 55 gallon tank. I move the 16 gallon tanks and nearly killed myself int he process.

I drained them pulled the fish, and STILL they were about 70 pounds a piece. Holy camoley it was heavy and I was committed by then. NO WAY on God's green Earth will I be able to move that 55, even drained without a bunch of people helping.

That means emptying it completely of substrate etc.

For all that effort I'm thinking I may as well redecorate it. Goody me. I'm guessing I may as well go with sand. I also realized that the body it is sitting on is NOT a 55 gallon stand but a 75g stand. Which means instead of setting atop it with support all around it is setting inside the frame on the four uprights... That will need to be remedied.

I'm debating against just putting a top over the whole stand and setting the tank on top of that... or building my own stand.... Big decisions.

mordalphus 06-28-2010 11:34 PM

Wow you lucky son of a gun. Well, I guess I'm pretty lucky too, since I have an office with 10 tanks in it.. haha.

Only thing I gotta say is moving anything over 30 gallons without completely draining it is a HUGE pain in the ass. Better get some backup air pumps and a bunch of 5 gallon buckets for temporary housing. I just moved some 30g and 20gs around my office and I nearly killed myself doing it solo. Had my wife help me with the last 30g, and she's no body builder, hah.

I can't even carry an EMPTY 55 gallon by myself, I usually pay a neighbor kid to help me bring new tanks into my house or business.

That's my suggestion... pay a neighbor kid! Then get a 200g and get some texas cichlids for your texas tank, muahaha!

TexasTanker 06-30-2010 12:45 AM

lol Soooo tempting. I found a 90 and a 120 for fifty buck each. BUT i need to think that through before I suffocate myself any more. I did the 55 empty by myself and that stunk. Like I said the 16's nearly popped me with just substrate. I'm guessing I'll have to bide my time until my son's birthday party on saturday and con my guests into working in exchange for staying in the AC.

bones14 06-30-2010 01:02 AM

Wish I could find a deal like that.Sounds like a plan with the birthday guests:)

TexasTanker 07-03-2010 01:27 AM

The 55 is safe and staying put!!!! pic heavy

5 Attachment(s)
I finally just pretended there are no walls. I now have the living room set up. I just gave up caffeine, and now my OCD and ADD are on hyper drive. It took HOURS and HOURS, but I'm happy and my realtor won't poop herself again.

I also did some re-organizing around the tank.

Pics below.