Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   question about lighting (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/question-about-lighting-45885/)

Salix 06-24-2010 08:42 PM

question about lighting

I got a 50 watt compact florescent light for my ten gallon tank. the tank didn't come with a hood and when I could finally afford to get one, it didn't come with a light. I don't want to stress out my fish by using the light too often since they're not used to it. How many hours a day should I have the light on?

robert958 06-24-2010 09:06 PM

Do you have plant? if yes, normally is about 8 hours and if it is too long it might encourage growth of algea. For me, I will only have it 4 hours daily and the rest is nature sun light. Dont use your aquarium lighting as a night light.

Salix 06-24-2010 09:17 PM

I don't have any plants no, though I'm thinking about making the switch from plastics to the real deal but I don't know the first thing about keeping live plants so it might be a while. Thanks for the advice, it's very much appreciated.

robert958 06-24-2010 10:34 PM

Me too at first but I did some search on the net and using this forum I learn something about keeping fishes and plants. Also learned and about water chemistry. About planting some plant need to know the substrate like sand, gravel, coral sand and etc. I am not that good yet still learning. For my aquarium i used sand (the one that I got from the aquarium store) is nice but the maintenance is a bit more. Plants has the advantage, it able to reduce phosphate (learn from Mr. Byron and net). I also makes the aquarium more realistic but do remember that not all plant will be able to grow well on some substrate like sand or some aquarium sand that are good for vegetation.

Byron 06-25-2010 07:31 PM

Salix, without live plants the only need for a light is for you to view the fish. I would not suggest turning it on and off all the time, it is better to have a schedule, but have it on when you are normally there to watch the fish and enjoy them. And make sure there is always light in the room when you turn the tank light on or off; never do this in a totally dark room, it can shock the fish.

The danger with too much light and no live plants is algae; algae will use the nutrients in the presence of light because there are no live plants touse the nutrients and light. Algae excess can be a problem.

With respect to planted tanks, have a look at the series of articles at the head of the Aquarium Plant section, they are entitled, "A Basic Approach to the Natural Planted Aquarium." Then, ask questions:-).

Byron.