Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   twitching kuhli loach (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/twitching-kuhli-loach-45872/)

Ghost15 06-24-2010 05:58 PM

twitching kuhli loach

so i have a kuhli loach and just recently has started twitching almost like he is having a seizure or something.. its been going on for about 3 to 4 days now and i cant figure out why he is twitching...

now the twitches vary.. some are worse than othes.. like some are just small ones.. but others make him move quite a bit.. and also the length between each one varies... they are just random.. i have no idea what is causing them .. i have never heard of a twitching fish.. im trying to find some kind of information on the internet about it but im not having the best luck.. i dont want to loose him and i just really want to know what is causing the twiches...

any information is greatly appreciated

kitten_penang 06-24-2010 06:06 PM

do you use an in sump filter or lighting?? maybe the current from the wiring is giving him tiny electric shocks.are there other fishes in the tank??

Ghost15 06-24-2010 06:13 PM

no.. i dont think that is it.. he has been in that tank for months now.. i got him in september 09..

i have 2 green cories, 6 pearl danios, 1 leopard angelfish, and 1 other kuhli loach which does no twitch...

the twitching started the day after one of my other kuhli loaches died of something.. i dont know.. one day healthy and alive, the next dead...

his colour is the same, no clamped fins... hes just twitching.. and i noticed that he is always moving his gills.. not like he normally would be and i dont know if that has something to do with him twitching or not.. but there are no signs of parasites on him.. or anything..

Ghost15 06-24-2010 06:23 PM

ohh... and the other fish in the tank are not bothering him.. they just swim right past him

Ghost15 06-25-2010 01:22 PM

this morning i check my tank to see how my kuhli is doing... when i found him he was dead... so yeah... but im still curious to know what would have caused the twitches/seizure type things..

i still have one healthy kuhli left.. should i get more??

kitten_penang 06-25-2010 06:36 PM

dont trow him away... check his gills cavity maybe there a parasites or water ticks in his gill cavity.

Link30 08-17-2010 07:29 PM

Sorry to reactivate an old thread but I was wondering if you found out anything becasue I am having issues with the same thing and cannot find any info on it.

I lost one kuhli already and another is in a q-tank but cannot find anything to keep the twitching/spasms/seizures or whatever you want to call it.

Romad 08-17-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Link30 (Post 449469)
Sorry to reactivate an old thread but I was wondering if you found out anything becasue I am having issues with the same thing and cannot find any info on it.

I lost one kuhli already and another is in a q-tank but cannot find anything to keep the twitching/spasms/seizures or whatever you want to call it.

I don't own any so can't say I've experienced the twitches but I do know that they are pretty sensitive to water param. changes. Have you tested your tap water lately? Are you adding a good water conditioner when you change the water? What are your levels for ammonia, nitrite, ph, nitrates?

Link30 08-18-2010 01:25 PM

My parameters are all good for what loaches like. I still have 3 of them that have no issues whatsoever. One of my original five had twitches and moved him to a q-tank while I tried to find a cure. I couldnt and he died.

This is my second one with this issue. I moved one of my caves to clean and found him belly up underneath it. He was still moving but I noticed his twitching and quickly moved him to the q-tank and am afraid he is going to die as well.

Nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are all zero. I condition all tap water. The only think I can think of is that I dont have a water hardness test.

PrettyKitty187 08-20-2010 10:43 PM

they have little strips at Petsmart to test the water with...five or six bucks...works like a litmus paper...

dunno about the twitching thing though...my little guy does it all the time...always has...just figured it was normal :/