Tropical Fish Keeping banner

New Tank

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  leifthebunny 
#1 ·
Well, looks like I won't be getting that 55g tank after all. Instead I got the 65g. <$30 more expensive with the stand set up, and 1' short lengthwise (sticks out 6" farther which is acceptable). It will match my old tank perfectly.

I am looking at angelfish, rainbow fish, and gouramis with some cory cats. I've heard a couple of different things about Kribs & Angelfish together, so was likely going to do GBRs instead. I am planning on doing low light plants with standard substrate instead of florite. I am going to get Java Moss, Anubias, and Hornwort. I'll likely do Wisteria as well.

Anyone have any recommendations on other fish or any experience with doing angelfish?

#7 ·
jack dempseys are very aggressive fish, as are firemouths. Anything aggressive with angelfish will terrify them, angelfish are very easily bossed and frightened. I once saw my pint size blue ram chase my frantic angelfish into a corner (this was an isolated incident, I forsee no problems keeping GBRs with angelfish).

#8 ·
nate2136 said:
yea that sounds good.....angelfish can be pretty aggressive when they are feeding, and as the rams are a very peaceful fish, just make sure they get plenty to eat. any thought to some jack dempseys or firemouths? they are also pretty peaceful.
any source i have seen has said that both jack dempseys and firemouths, though more so jack demspeys have been agressive to id be tempted to agree with scottysgirl here

jack dempseys werent names after a heavy weight boxer for nothing :)

#9 ·
scottysgirl said:
jack dempseys are very aggressive fish, as are firemouths. Anything aggressive with angelfish will terrify them, angelfish are very easily bossed and frightened. I once saw my pint size blue ram chase my frantic angelfish into a corner (this was an isolated incident, I forsee no problems keeping GBRs with angelfish).
i will have to disagree and say that Jack Dempseys are not "very aggressive" fish, neither are firemouths. Maybe a little on the aggressive sid, but definitely not very aggressive. I think maybe you are thinking of Red Terrors or Convicts. I'm not so sure they would "terrorize" the angelfish. The only fish in my tank that are not aggressive are the Dempseys and Firemouths

#11 ·
juliewiegand said:
nope, not mistaking them for terrors or convicts, but youre right that those are also agressive fish. perhaps you got lucky and managed to get less agressive than usual fish - all fish are individuals after all :)
thats a good point, and want to make sure everyone knows i wasnt trying to bash on anybodys knowledge, but let me reiterate: i am a cichlid junkie, and for cichlids, dempseys and firemouths arent all that agressive....now as a fish, they are pretty aggressive.

#12 ·
nate2136 said:
yea that sounds good.....angelfish can be pretty aggressive when they are feeding, and as the rams are a very peaceful fish, just make sure they get plenty to eat. any thought to some jack dempseys or firemouths? they are also pretty peaceful.
I mostly want to keep to the more peaceful south american cichlids in the 4-5" range. I'd like to do a fair sized tank before I get into the more aggressive cichlids. Plus, the more aggressive ones tend to rip up plants where the GBR, Apistos, & Angelfish like the plants. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.