Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Need help with tadpoles! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/need-help-tadpoles-4576/)

mjjrules 03-27-2007 09:54 PM

Need help with tadpoles!

I was draining out the water from my pond today and found 4 tadpoles, I caught them and put them in a bucket with water and mud from the pond. I didn't get a good look at them but it looks like they haven't grown limbs yet. Does anyone know how I can keep them alive until they turn into frogs? I still have them in the bucket and put it in the shed to keep them out of the cold as I live in Toronto and it gets cool at night still. Should I cover the bucket? I left it open for oxygen. tomorrow I plan on putting them in a big rubber maid container with more mud and water from the pond. Is this good enough to keep them alive? Is there anything I should be doing? Do I need to feed them?

Lupin 03-27-2007 10:08 PM

Welcome.:wave:

To keep the temp constant, you will need a heater unfortunately otherwise the temp will just stay cold or vary a lot. They seem to prefer veggies and algae as I had observed in my area.:)

mjjrules 03-27-2007 10:31 PM

I need a heater even though they are used to the cold water? Do I need the mud in there? I put it in there because I thought they might burry themselves in it.

Lupin 03-28-2007 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjjrules
I need a heater even though they are used to the cold water?

I must have misinterpreted your post saying 'out of the cold'.:? We never have temperature colder than 20 degrees Celsius as I live in the tropics.

If the tadpoles seem happy with the mud in a container, then I don't see why there would be something wrong with it.

You might want a dechlorinator if your tapwater contains chlorine and chloramine which are quite toxic to aquatic life.

daisycutter 04-02-2007 03:12 AM

tadpoles will develop faster at higher tempertures cold just slows them down they will also eat fish flake with relish they will eat pretty much anything and will sift the mud for food so having it is probably a good idea

Melora 05-06-2008 09:34 PM

A little late- but if you want 100% of your tadpoles to live give them a piece of dry dog food :3 I've raised just about every kind of native frog/toad and they always seem to do far better on that than anything else. :)

xnxanatorx 10-21-2012 04:05 AM

Hmm I have to agree that tadpole eats anything I usually feed my tadpole I purchased all the way from Florida I usually give them wafers, koi fish food I smashed up into coursed crumbs and occasionally fine powdered koi fish food you can grind it or buy it online in powder form so when you feed them it mixes and clouds your water but only use a little and I recommend buying a 5 gal aquarium if they don't have legs yet you can fill it up all the way but if they have some legs visible then fill water only 5 inches and the side of the aquarium put a lot of pebbles rocks and get a air stone for temp wise I use boiling water but you need to have a thermometer in your aquarium so you can see the temp I usually slow pour my boil water and wait for the changes my temp is at 80.4 degrees Fahrenheit I'd prefer you to to buy a heater/cooler from eBay from china it will help you maintain accurate measures I hope this help