Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Exciting Molly Mutation (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/exciting-molly-mutation-4573/)

equine731 03-27-2007 08:25 PM

Exciting Molly Mutation

Hey Fish Friends, I just wanted to send you an update on my fry... they are a few days old and doing well in the tank with the parents who still (knock on wood) arent bothering them (probably due to the overzelous feeding schedule lol) Im excited bc I noticed one of the fry was a bit different from the rest. The little guys tailfin just comes to a point from the back of its body. Sorta how an eel looks. And I think it may be lacking a dorsal fin, but it definately does have its side fins. If it survives to adulthood I think this may be a cool mutation for me to try to develop. As of now it can swim fine if not better then some of it's brothers and sisters. Ive observed it eating quite a few times and is growing just like its siblings. So as long as it appears to be in good health and condition Im excited for it to hopefully make it to adulthood! Ill try to snap some pics of it very soon. Till then Ill try to think of some names if it does make it! something like.... the eel molly let me know what you all think!! Thanks!
~Peter

musho3210 03-27-2007 09:18 PM

nice but please keep it to yourself and dont sell, its just another hybrid on the market which is bad.

Sleepy 03-27-2007 10:09 PM

Re: Exciting Molly Mutation

Quote:

Originally Posted by equine731
let me know what you all think!! Thanks!
~Peter

I think a crippled fish isn´t exciting or something somebody should consider to breed with.
We already have enough hybrids suffering because somebody considered an oversized mouth, small or too long fins etc. as fancy.

equine731 03-28-2007 10:48 AM

Hey There, I said I would maybe consider it as long as it made it to adulthood in full health and didnt appear to be in any pain or handicap, as I already said it is eating well and can swim fine. It is not crippled or has any body deformations its tail fine just comes to a point at the top. Im not interested in making money or name for myself of this I just wanted to share my findings. Please consider this before you go to judge so quickly. Thank you ~Peter

scottysgirl 03-28-2007 04:05 PM

Well, all of our fish that we currently have originally resulted from mutations. Mutations are natural (but rare) events that lead to evolution. Most harmful mutations are weeded out as the organism itself does not survive. There are sometimes, however, helpful mutations which are beneficial to the organism and thus are conseraved in the gene pool, these can lead to new species. Very interesting about the fish, as long as it swims fine and seems vigorous and healthy, I see no problem with breeding it.

scottysgirl 03-28-2007 04:07 PM

It doesn't sound to me as if the fry is a hybrid, isn't it out of two normal molly parents?

fish_4_all 03-28-2007 04:25 PM

As it has already been said there needs to be some tact used when responding to any post. The fish could very well be nothing more than a normal genetic variation from the parents. It would have been better to ask a little more detail about the description and get some more facts before jumping to conclusions and chastising a member for the making a post.

equine731, when you do get a picture I would like to see it and I would also like to know more about the parents and what types of mollies they are if they are two mollies for parents. Please don't let this single incident chase you away from the forum. Thank you for trying to help scottysgirl, is shows new and old members a better way to participate and keep the forum friendly.

Mike 03-28-2007 04:40 PM

fish_4_all is absolutely right.

One of the reasons many members enjoy this forum is because we have worked to cultivate a pleasant atmosphere and have thwarted elitism, snobbery, and rudeness at every opportunity.

There are plenty of places on the Internet to discuss fish with absolutely no restrictions, but here we hold members to a higher standard and everyone benefits as a result.

There are ways to say things and ways not to. Telling another member who is obviously excited about something to "keep it to himself" is unacceptable.

This topic has been locked.

Sincerely,
Administrator