Tropical Fish Keeping banner

75 gallon tank

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  fishesfriend 
#1 ·
Up first I would like to state that I have 2 accounts :0. I know thats bad I panicked( or what ever). Set that aside, I have the 75 gallon d.a.s. bomb( a bad thing fyi made by 6998 ) and the 40g breeder to be by this account.

Anywho, I have good sand and rock in my 40g. I was thinkin because my 75g could use some help(and then some). That would be good to move the inhabitence of the 75 for month or two(exept the tang I want to just give him to a store or rehome him.) So that the 75g will have sand not gravel, plus some LR not just BR. I would like to restock the 75g to. Ideas to come.

NEED INPUT!

#3 · (Edited)
Stocking list!!!

So this is what I came up with so far.

Fish

• 1-2 Yasha shrimp gobies (pair or just one)
  • 2 ocellaris clowns (pair)
  • 2 flame hawks (?)
  • 3 zebra dartfish (group)
  • 1 Kole Yellow eye tang (lone wolf)
  • 2 black Nox angelfish (?)
  • 3 Royal Grammas (1m, 2f)
  • 2 blue star leopard wrasses (pair)(?)
  • 1 stary blennie :(I)
Inverts

• 3 green mithrax crabs (?)
  • 1 fighting conch (solo)
  • 2 turbo snails
  • 5 nerite snails
  • 1 spider deocator crab (?)
  • 1 pompom crab (?)
  • 3 (red or hallowen) hermits
  • 3 pepper mint shrimp
  • 1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
  • 3+ astera starfish (hopfully)
Feeding

I plan for an assortment of foods including:
  • Frozen cubes (brine, myss shrimp, and somethin else
  • 1 aglea sheet weekly or more ( half clipped to wall, other half is sent to davy jones locker for the inverts)
  • Sinking pellets
Questions They are marked with a question mark in ( ) those

• all but below: will they eat the little fish, inverts, or corals
  • blue star wrasse: is there an eating issue
  • scooter bleenie and salfin tang will be taken back
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How did I do?
Critism is welcome.
I'm all ears for now.

#7 ·
So this is what I came up with so far.

Fish

• 1-2 Yasha shrimp gobies (pair or just one) why not get a pistol shrimp too?
  • 2 ocellaris clowns (pair) this is fine
  • 2 flame hawks (?) a pair could prob. work, but im pretty sure theyre known to eat small inverts
  • 3 zebra dartfish (group) not overly familiar w this fish
  • 1 Kole Yellow eye tang (lone wolf) this is fine
  • 2 black Nox angelfish (?) not overly familair
  • 3 Royal Grammas (1m, 2f) i would skip out on 3 of these fish
  • 2 blue star leopard wrasses (pair)(?) all im going to say is, goodluck keeping 1, i strongly suggest not doing it though, beautiful fish but a challenge. its one of, if not, my favorite.
  • 1 stary blennie :(I) this is fine
Inverts

• 3 green mithrax crabs (?) i personally dont like any crabs, and these tend to be trouble
  • 1 fighting conch (solo) this will be fine but keep in mind over time they can get pretty large
  • 2 turbo snails this is fine
  • 5 nerite snails this is fine
  • 1 spider deocator crab (?) these guys are interesting, they will pick up all kinds of stuff in your tank and "wear it" but again i personally dont like any crabs
  • 1 pompom crab (?) another interesting crab but still a crab
  • 3 (red or hallowen) hermits go with the reds, be sure to add different size empty shells for them to move into, they still seem to rip snails from their shells but adding empty shells helps to prevent this, at the end of the day - still a crab
  • 3 pepper mint shrimp this is fine
  • 1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp this is fine
  • 3+ astera starfish (hopfully) asterina starfish? as in the little tiny ones? these will hitch in on live rock, and soon you'll have alot more then 3
personally i would add more snails and less crabs and shrimp. i would skip the peppermints,hermits, and mithrax and do a pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimp instead. i would also have atleast 10 nassarious snails, 10 astrea snails at the minimum and over time increase these numbers to where they should be.
Feeding

I plan for an assortment of foods including:
  • Frozen cubes (brine, myss shrimp, and somethin else soak the brine shrimp first in alittle selcon and garlic, it holds little to no nutritional value.
  • 1 aglea sheet weekly or more ( half clipped to wall, other half is sent to davy jones locker for the inverts) your tang will gnaw through a half a sheet a day no problem. in the wild they constantly are swimming over the reef in search of algae and food. in your tank there is only a limited amount, esp when its fairly new so offering a piece of algae daily is a good idea, if not a piece twice a day.
  • Sinking pellets why? for what?
is this going to be a reef tank? phyto-plankton, oyster eggs, and others should then be added from time to time for coral health.

Questions They are marked with a question mark in ( ) those

• all but below: will they eat the little fish, inverts, or corals as i mentioned im not very familiar with those angels but they are known to nip corals/inverts same with hawks
  • blue star wrasse: is there an eating issue i had my female for prob. about 2-3 months before she disapeared. such a beautiful fish and i wish she was still around as i still miss it but i have never found a body or why the fish just vanished. i fed my reef such a large variety of foods too, including blackworms and no luck with this species. im sure not all are the same but its hard to see that from the LFS. try to keep an eye on them for a few days while STILL IN THE STORE, and even see if they will offer them food. just because they ate in the store however doesnt mean they will just give in when theyre in their new tank, so all im saying is be careful and be pre-pared to have to offer only live foods.
  • scooter bleenie and salfin tang will be taken back
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How did I do?
Critism is welcome.
I'm all ears for now.
sorry for the red, i just found it easier to answer your questions that way and then easier to read my answer in red. hope that helps some. feel free to ask any questions you may have.

#4 ·
to many pairs in a tank will definatly cause confusion

#8 · (Edited)
OK great the list has been narrowed down.

I meant to get a pistol shrimp.
I'll probably get just one royal gramma.
I'll skip the peppermint shrimp and the crabs but hermits.
I still want to try the wrasses but probably won't get them.
I plan for this to be a reef tank.

I would also like to have alittle more verity of well... everything altho I like the list.

#9 ·
i find a pistol shrimp/goby pair to be extremely interesting and i personally could watch them work together for hours. i think if the "critters" interest you, this would be a fantastic choice.
i myself enjoy all the little critters but i think ( and hope ) you'll be much happier withouth the mithrax esp since its a reef. i personally wouldnt do the decorator either as you'll find he takes whatever he wants for his camo but he atleast (hopefully) wont be as picky when it comes to clawing around.
as for the wrasse i found they can be tricky and ive yet to get another and dont know if i ever will. i do love this fish though, along with alot of other wrasses. if you do go with this guy, add it after the tank has been stable and matured for months. this will give it the best chance. ( notice how i say, chance. )
other wrasses will be easier to keep, most all like to jump so hopefully theres a lid or canopy of some sort.

i did see that you changed nerite to nass snails, however as ive mentioned i would have more snails in this tank. i personally like a mixture of many kinds. i would also like to mention turbo snails large size tends to knock over coral frags. usually not the end of the world and you can just pick up the frag and place it back in its place. these snails are still good to have, i just wouldnt have them in large numbers like the other kinds. 10 of each of nassarious, astrae, and id even get nerites if you can is good to start. alittle further down the road when more macro/micro algae is present you can add 5-10 more of each kind, if not even more.

i think a 75 will be a great tank though, the dementions are great. are you including a sump with this setup? care to share more about this tank? sump, filtration, stand, lighting, etc. pictures? so forth. ill be looking forward to following along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.