Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Input on my plan for treating goldfish ich? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/input-my-plan-treating-goldfish-ich-45652/)

Castro235 06-21-2010 04:37 PM

Input on my plan for treating goldfish ich?

Hey everyone, so my two goldfish in my 10 gallon established tank have come down with ich, and unfortunately my budget is just about non-existant, so I don't know how long it would be before I could do things the way I wanted (put them in a 10 gallon takn with nothing but a filter, and treat them with meds, while raising the temp and adding salt to the established tank so all the bacteria and healthy tank aspects wouldn't be destroyed from treatment)

My current thoughts are, to take everything out of the tank, all the gravel, all the plants, all the decorations, anything and everything that should have bacteria(except for the filter)

Put all of that stuff into a smallish tote box(probably at least 20 gallons) with water, and treat the 10gallon with just the fish and the filter.

I don't know if the bacteria on all the decor and such would be able to just survive on it's own while I treat it, or if I would need to have something in the tank to produce waste for it(was considering a few crayfish since they are really cheap at my lfs right now, and as far as I know, inverts don't get affected by ich)

I'm not sure if I'm missing alot of things here, but I really just want to be able to keep my goldfish healthy, and I can't afford to get an extra tank and filter and heater anytime soon so this is about all I can come up with.

If I were to do this, does it seem like it should work okay?

And if I have the established media and such in the tote with either no life, or just a few crayfish, would the ich eventually die off, or would it still live even after a few months unless I raised the temperature and added salt or medicated.

Thanks for any help, i really appreciate it.

kitten_penang 06-24-2010 04:26 PM

Infected fish are treated in the main tank with brand-name medications (Super Ich Cure by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Faunomor by Aquarium Munster and Costapur by Sera), as they do not harm plants and biofilters. For the treatment period, coal, zeolites, peat and other suchlike fillers should be removed from filters. Faunomor should be dosed according to the manufacturer’s instruction. Super Ick Cure and Costapur should be given tree times every other day (e.g. the medication should be given on the first, third, and fifth day of treatment). It recommended to double the dose of Costapur. Medication should be given at night (as it is dissolves in the light). Before medication is administered it is advisable to carry out a 15 % water change, provide strong aeration, and apply a superfine filter pad (which effectively stops swimming infusorians). A slight increase in water temperature (no more than 2 degrees) could be beneficial. Add salt (large or sea salt), concentration depends on the fish species (from 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons per 10L of water). If there are precious plants in the main tank, it is better not to use salt. Simultaneous addition of Sera ectopur leads to a quicker recovery of the fish and helps to deal with other ectoparasits as it causes them to detach from the fish’s skin. It is also a good disinfectant as it contains various oxygen-emitting salts. TetraMedica General Tonic can also prove beneficial. “Little white salt grains” should start to disappear from the skin on the 2nd or 4th day. On the 6th day carry out a water change and add activated carbon into the filter. After several days, bring water temperature back to the normal range. __________________
Fishes are living creatures rare them only if you can take care of them :razz:

kitten_penang 06-24-2010 04:27 PM

hope it helps.at least you don't need to get a second tank or strip the main one to carry out the treatment.

Castro235 06-24-2010 04:37 PM

Well, I already started up the little project, I did some looking into it and it looks like the nox-ich isnt really harmful to my snails or beneficial bacteria per say, but i chose to go on the safe side and set up their tank as a qt anyway.

I have them in the 10 gallon tank with an airstone, and their filter and a clay pot, and I'm going with the directions on the nox-ich bottle, 1 drop per gallon every day for 3 days, then on the 4th day I'm going to do a nice 50% change and retreat the following day, then they'll be in that tank for probably a month at least just to be on the safe side that the ich is definitely gone.

I ended up putting all their stuff into a giant novelty brandy glass I had, and got a small crayfish for it, I'm starting to think it might be a little small for him, but he still has tons of room to move around, and it should only be until the treatment ends, and I needed to get an invert so it couldnt get ich from the tainted decor, so my choice was crayfish, or crayfish, since my local shops are out of shrimp right now.

I've started another thread with the brandy glass tank, It's kind of cool looking with my entire 10 gallon decor in a quarter of the space.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...y-glass-45856/
There's a link to the Brandy tank if you're interested. :)

kitten_penang 06-24-2010 04:50 PM

did you know the parasite needs to find a host in 3 days or it will perish.i think the tank will be safe after that period.

Castro235 06-24-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 411611)
did you know the parasite needs to find a host in 3 days or it will perish.i think the tank will be safe after that period.

Yeah, everythings seemed to stress the 3 day cycle, my worry is the ich not being completely cleared up in the tank the goldfish are still in, so i want to treat them and give them plenty of time before I put them in my inhabited 55g

kitten_penang 06-25-2010 06:16 PM

that makes sense better safe then sorry i guess.what goldfish are you keeping? oranda's?

Castro235 06-25-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 412259)
that makes sense better safe then sorry i guess.what goldfish are you keeping? oranda's?

Mixed comets and common, I believe in total I have 2 common and 4 comet, only one of each was in the ten gallon(both under 4" waiting to go into my larger tank)

I ended up finding a gold mine at my lfs, looks like they bought out an abandoned breeders warehouse or something, so they have tons of tanks, ranging from 2 gallons to what looks like 200 gallons, and they want to get rid of them so they said 5 bucks each. I grabbed a 10 gallon and a 15 gallon both for 5 altogether, and moved my cray out of the brandy glass into a nice 10 gallon tank, so he should be a little happier.

I really liked the look of that brandy glass though, so I may end up doing a few shrimp in it in the future if I have a nice place for it.

kitten_penang 06-26-2010 07:52 AM

woah 200 gallon for 5 bucks.wow they did have more then they can handle..yeah i saw the brandy glass in another post.looks big enough to keep 2 guppies in there with a plant and air stone or a beta. i do hope your goldfish get better soon.i started fish keeping with goldfish like most of us do and i hated it when they were sick and i only had pocket money to spare ^.^