Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Really could do with some help What have i got as it seem to be many things (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/really-could-do-some-help-what-45474/)

wrightyukgorl 06-19-2010 08:49 AM

Really could do with some help What have i got as it seem to be many things

Hi can some one please tell me what wrong with my tank I have run a course off Protozin as my LFS shop recon i had velvet.
Reading about on the internet i seem to have the signs off flukes and currently running treatment for that.
But i really feeling i running round and round and i keep losing fish.

I have a 170l tank
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20ppm
ph 8

My molly i have stay at the top off the tank and tails are always down. One molly dies and gills had like red pin pricks over it but as said ammonia is 0. Lastly i have not seen my molly do a poop for couple days and a couple molly when going it clear and or colour off what they are eating. All fish are flicking but not very ofter.

Is you look close at the photo off the guppie you can see the gills are very orange is that velvet ? and what is wrong with the algae eater please

Resized to 45% (was 2592 x 1944) - Click image to enlarge

http://wrighty.modelbits.co.uk/1.jpg
Resized to 45% (was 2592 x 1944) - Click image to enlarge

http://wrighty.modelbits.co.uk/2.jpg
Sorry about the large images also the orange is not that bad on the fish had to take with phone camera and not come out to well but the gills are that orange

in the tank is 8 guppies
4 mollys
4 neons
1 plec
3 loaches
2 algae eaters

kitten_penang 06-19-2010 09:16 AM

does your fish do this?
Scratchs against hard objects
Fish is lethargic
Loss of appetite and weight loss
Rapid, labored breathing
Fins clamped against body
Fine yellow or rusty colored film on skin
In advanced stages skin peeks off

wrightyukgorl 06-19-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 407898)
does your fish do this?
Scratchs against hard objects Yes
Fish is lethargic Only mollys
Loss of appetite and weight loss Not really molly eat if food on the water
Rapid, labored breathing Not that i can see
Fins clamped against body Again not that i can see
Fine yellow or rusty colored film on skin Hard one if you look at the guppies i have they look very rusty around the gills but not sure if that there colour but all other fish look fine to me
In advanced stages skin peeks off Defently not

This why i so confussed as have some things but not all and i have already run the cause to treat for velvet

kitten_penang 06-19-2010 09:29 AM

did you try this??
Raise water temperature to 82 degrees
Dim lights for several days as the bacteria needs the light as it contains chlorophyll
Add aquarium salt to help to ease the fishes breathing
Treat with copper sulphate or atabrine(Quinacrine hydrochloride) for ten days
Discontinue carbon filtration during treatment
any new sick fish should be in the sick bay/tank
maintain high water quality.frequent changes in little amounts would be best
hope these will help

wrightyukgorl 06-19-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 407906)
did you try this??
Raise water temperature to 82 degrees
Dim lights for several days as the bacteria needs the light as it contains chlorophyll
Add aquarium salt to help to ease the fishes breathing
Treat with copper sulphate or atabrine(Quinacrine hydrochloride) for ten days
Discontinue carbon filtration during treatment
any new sick fish should be in the sick bay/tank
maintain high water quality.frequent changes in little amounts would be best
hope these will help

Water temp is currently upto 82 have been for about 3 weeks now
did not think i could add salt because off my loaches and plec ?
Dimming the light will admit i have not tried this because off my real plants as have alot
carbon filtration never use
and water changes been doing 10% daily for the last 3 weeks as you can see been going on for some time
will have to see if i can get some copper sulphate as i only used potozin and currently sterazin

What do you think it is then ? as this is what is bugging the hell out off me the fact i just done know what it is

kitten_penang 06-19-2010 09:55 AM

maybe thats the reason your fishes aren't getting well.you have a planted tank that needs light and the parasite that causes the velvet disease is also dependent on light.like i said it the parasite is a creature classified by some as a protozoan and by others as algae because it contains Chlorophyll and i can see algae growth in you tank is booming.try cutting the light a little maybe an hour less a day and see whether the algae growth lessen.take out the loaches and pleco and put them in a smaller holding holding tank if they cant stand a higher salinity in the water as the salt actually helps them breath easier.

wrightyukgorl 06-19-2010 09:58 AM

Thank you for the reply

Will defently be trying to see if it help

Not sure were you looking in the photo though but i dont have any algae at all in my tank that you can see with the naked eye any how

kitten_penang 06-19-2010 09:58 AM

btw loaches don't do well in high temp.

kitten_penang 06-19-2010 09:59 AM

opps.. the blurry part of you first photo looks like algea.my mistake then sorry

wrightyukgorl 06-19-2010 10:03 AM

Once again thank you for the replys will get some carbon in the filter to remove sterazin from me water and will give it a try.

And will go back to treating velvet

So convinved i had flukes

Thanks you so much for the reply and will let you know how i get on in a few days