Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   It's Alive!!!! is it? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/its-alive-45439/)

captmoriarty 06-18-2010 05:20 PM

It's Alive!!!! is it?

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and already asking questions.

I have a 36x15x12 inch slatwater tank with live rock, fish & inverts my question is I have been given a half decent looking piece of fake orniment rock 9x7x2 that has lots of dents and holes (by design), if I put it in the tank is there a chance that the various plants and algee that already cover my live rock will spread over to the fake stuff over the next few months, or will it always be bare, if this is the case I may as well just get some more live stuff or use it for the back of an artificail cave for my Goby.

Looking forward to any helpful advice.

kitten_penang 06-19-2010 10:04 AM

not sure whether plants will grow on it but im very sure algae will.btw i just wanted to say welcome to the forum =)

bearwithfish 06-19-2010 09:53 PM

welcome :) ... i would say use it for a cave ... then if things start to grow your golden if not then you still have a cool looking cave......

captmoriarty 06-20-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearwithfish (Post 408284)
welcome :) ... i would say use it for a cave ... then if things start to grow your golden if not then you still have a cool looking cave......

Thanks I think I will

onefish2fish 06-20-2010 09:55 AM

since you say plants and aglae im going to take an educated guess that your tank has an algae problem? if that is the case then, yes the algaes will very well cover whatever they wish. if you mean corals, which are an animal and not a plant then over time they will spread onto just about any hard surface. if your talking about macro algaes, be careful as some are known to take over a tank.

as for the plastic cave, plastic is nowhere near as pourus as the rock, so it does not offer much for critters to move into. yes you can use it, but i personally wouldnt in my tank because i like to keep things as natural as i can.
hope that helps, welcome to the forum.

captmoriarty 06-20-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 408482)
since you say plants and aglae im going to take an educated guess that your tank has an algae problem? if that is the case then, yes the algaes will very well cover whatever they wish. if you mean corals, which are an animal and not a plant then over time they will spread onto just about any hard surface. if your talking about macro algaes, be careful as some are known to take over a tank.

as for the plastic cave, plastic is nowhere near as pourus as the rock, so it does not offer much for critters to move into. yes you can use it, but i personally wouldnt in my tank because i like to keep things as natural as i can.
hope that helps, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the reply, Algae is not a problem in the tank it's kept under control and the water is crystal clear.
The rock I was given is not plastic but some kind of mock rock, don't have any corals yet but looking to get some soon.