Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   what cichlids does everybody have? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/what-cichlids-does-everybody-have-4540/)

Falina 03-26-2007 06:12 PM

what cichlids does everybody have?

the only ones i have are 3 blue rams and i love them. originally i didnt get any cichlids at all as i was more interested in catfish (still plan on setting up a large catfish tank) but i have recently become very interested in cichlids, especially the larger ones but i have no room for them and was just wondering what everybody has and any stories about them??

Rue 03-26-2007 06:17 PM

I have none! But I'm researching my options! I'm planning on some type of SA cichlid for my 75g tank...

But first I need to look after my goldies! I'm picking up their new (to me) 55g tank this weekend! Woohoo!

leifthebunny 03-26-2007 06:20 PM

I've got German Blue Rams for my community tank wishlisted and want to do an angel tank with kribs.

Falina 03-26-2007 06:24 PM

good luck with the new tank! :D

ideally what i would love to have is my 10g for the few cories and betta, turn my 35g into a large catfish tank (not too large obviously, but maybe pictus, small plec, syno... style fish) and get another bigger tank, probably no bigger than 50g since i live in a small flat, and put some cichlids in there. this is my plan but i am as skint as a really, really skint person at the moment, and will undoubtedly remain so for the next year and a wee bit until i graduate, THEN ill get another tank hopefully :) - my eyes are much bigger than my wallet just now unfortunately

currently i really like blue acaras, and keyhole cichlids, along with my beautiful wee rams. i doubt that these would mix but since this is only a theoretical tank at the moment, im just going to pretend that itll work until the time comes

Rue 03-26-2007 06:36 PM

Thanks! So far the biggest tank I've had is the 25g! The 55g is training for the 75! :lol:

I did want an Oscar originally...but I think it will be too much work...but I love the big cichlids...

Falina 03-26-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leifthebunny
I've got German Blue Rams for my community tank wishlisted and want to do an angel tank with kribs.

ive never been too fond of kribs but when i was in my lfs not so long ago i saw some albino kribs and they were really beautiful.

Lupin 03-26-2007 06:42 PM

4 German Blue Rams, 8 Angelfish and a Bolivian Ram.
Quote:

Originally Posted by leifthebunny
want to do an angel tank with kribs.

Trouble is kribs just love to nip the fins of the angels especially during breeding season.:shake:

xingumike 03-26-2007 06:44 PM

Apistogramma agasizii which i am trying to breed here is the male, beautiful fish :)

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...bson/pisto.jpg

Falina 03-26-2007 06:44 PM

Quote:

4 German Blue Rams, 8 Angelfish and a Bolivian Ram.
blue, are the blue rams and bolivian ram in the same tank?

Lupin 03-26-2007 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliewiegand
blue, are the blue rams and bolivian ram in the same tank?

They used to be until the stupid bolivian ram joined in the fray with the blue rams to chase and kill some of my tetras after her two other mates died.:sob: Both rams are never a problem when kept in the same tank provided you have enough space for them to establish. They had been flaring up each other but never bothered to cause fights.:) Both rams have been known to kill only if the fish is new regardless of whether it is a cichlid or not and when the fish has been weakened by various circumstances. Both fish alone have survived a lot of problems.:blink: It's their attitude that is the problem.:shake: