Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Would you call my betta tank overstocked?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MustardGas 
#1 ·
I have a 10-gallon tank from Wal-Mart so I'm using the Aqua-Tech 5-15 gallon filter it came with. I also have a Marineland Stealth Pro 50 watt heater in there.

Anyway, in the tank I have:

- 2 male bettas (divided of course.. Roscoe, the original inhabitant, has about 6.5 gallons and Toothless has the remaining 3.5.
- 2 Otocinclus
- Countless Ramshorns and Pond snails
- 2 Assassin snails to control above
- 10 Ghost shrimp

The tank is heavily planted. I had to trim a bunch because the fish had problems swimming through them.
- 2 very large Amazon Swords
- Duckweed
- Moneywort
- Scarlet Temple
- 2 Moss balls which have spread and entangled the Moneywort.
- 3 Java ferns

These are being fertilized 1-2x weekly with Seachem Fluorish liquid ferts, and once a month I add a root tablet for the sword.
Once a week I do a 40% water change and attempt to gravel vacuum when doing so, but the Swords' roots are very large. I add Prime to the new water.

Is there anything I can do to improve my tank?

See less See more
#3 ·
Yup, the Otos are fat and happy :) Have been for 8 months now :D I'm more-or-less wondering if there's some way to improve my tank.

#6 ·
Bones- I have some very old pictures.. I'll try to snag my sister's camera to take more soon! Mine has since broken :/

Konstar- Actually, I can't upgrade. I live at home and my dad is incredibly strict. It was quite a fight to get the 10 gallon in the first place. I'll see if I can drop off some Ramshorns at my work. How much of a bioload do they add anyway? It seems like quite a lot but does anyone know how many I should take out? I have at least 6 large (10cm) and dozens of smalls (2-9cm)

Do the shrimps add a lot? I can say for sure I'm keeping the bettas, otos and assassins. I'm willing to part with plenty of the snails and possibly a few shrimp, if they really would make a difference.

What can I do you improve my routine? Would more live plants help?

#7 ·
I have no clue about Ramshorns. Perhaps someone can help you with that.

Well try taking them back to the petstore. My mom can be a bit cruel when it comes to some of my fish and my sister well she gets all mean when it comes to them too. I said to myslef, "this is not your tank. I'm responsible on hats best for them and whats best for me as a fishkeeper. They are not toys."

#8 ·
If you have an overpopulation of ramshorns, basically you're feeding too much. They don't have too much of a bioload- since they only overpopulate in the presence of too much food, it's better to have their bioload than the rotting food that they would be eating otherwise.

If you fead a bit less, then the ramshorn problem will 'go away'.

Amazon swords get big. Eh, Not sure what to do about it though. You don't need root tabs though- if you insist on using them, every few months is plenty.

As for the shrimp, I wouldn't worry about them either. (although I'm suprised the Betta hasn't eaten them...)

Sounds like a nice setup.

If you do your water changes regularly, I don't see any problems... Of course, don't add anymore fish.

You can also experiment with the ferts... For a couple weeks use a slightly smaller dose, and see if there's a difference.
In your kind of setup, you want the plants to absorb all of the fish waste before they get to the ferts.

#9 ·
Thank you Red! Very helpful :)

I think I'll take a bunch of the smaller ones back to work today. I work at a pet store so I can give them to a customer for free for their pond or tank :)

My bettas really don't care about the shrimps, surprisingly. They've definitely noticed them too, but then just turn away like it's nothing.

And the Amazon needs constant trimming, but I like how much it's grown and it gives Roscoe stuff to swim through and the shrimp are all over it!

Here are some pictures:

#11 ·
Thank you, imntbatman!
That's good :) I took about 15 of the larger snails to work and gave 'em to a guy who wanted them for his pond.

I saw some really nice plants at work too, so I took out the driftwood on the bigger side and added two unknown potted plants and 4 Corkscrews. I would love to have a bigger tank, I think I've hit my plant limit :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.