Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Cycling - Adding fish too soon? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cycling-adding-fish-too-soon-4536/)

gmckey 03-26-2007 01:09 PM

Cycling - Adding fish too soon?

So when I set up my aquarium (Friday, ~2.5 weeks ago) originally with new gravel/sand, established plants and filter media from a previously established tank, 15-20gal of established water with 30-35gal of new water w/ dechlorinator...

Tank Stats:

55 gal high tank
Rena XP2 filter w/ DIY CO2 inline diffusor on return
Spray Bar and intake tubes on seperate ends
Heater keeping tank 78* constant
11 Danios (4 Zebra, 4 Pearl, 3 Purple Passion)
Coralife CF 36" 96 watt Light

Started with 2 Zebra Danios after a week of cycling w/ filter,plants, old/new water then added the others over the course of last week.

Tank seems to be doing well for only 2 weeks in, slight ammonia spikes after adding the new fish, but everything seems to be right about 0 otherwise. I'm going to give it another week or so with the current setup, maybe add a few more plants. But here's what all this is working up too:

Here's what I'm looking to eventually stock the tank with, of these which of these would be the best addidtion for 3 weeks in as far as hardiness/resilliance to the cycling fluctuations:

-Blue/Paradise/Honey Gourami (3-4)
-Torpedo/Albino Tiger Barbs (6-8)
-Cory Cats (4-6)
-Kuhlis (4-6)
-German Blue Rams (2 - I plan on getting these near last)
-Possibly: 2 Discus or Angelfish or other large fish

-

gmckey 03-26-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daz
Rethink the stocklist fella, drop the Angels and cut down on the rest by at least 70%. Otherwise best of look sounds good. 8)

Those aren't definite numbers by any means. I'll go with more or less of each depending on what I run into at the time at the LFS or what seems to be working well...

Basically, I want eventually:

-Gouramis
-Kuhlis
-Corys
-Barbs

what should be next in your opinion?

leifthebunny 03-26-2007 01:52 PM

I wouldn't recommend the tiger barbs with angelfish. Tiger barbs are somewhat aggressive and shouldn't be kept withthe slower moving angelfish. They are pretty hardy and would probably be a good next step.

gmckey 03-26-2007 02:05 PM

Yeah, thats fine. I don't think either the discus or angel's will never make it into the tank... I just want some large fish to act as a focal initial focal point for tank viewers.

leifthebunny 03-26-2007 02:19 PM

Just be careful mixing sizes. Too much difference will create potential for missing fish, aggresive or not. :P

GalaxyGirl 03-26-2007 02:26 PM

Wait a little over a month for the corys and kuhlis, that way they have something to scrounge on. (Is that a word? Or did I just make that up? haha) and I dont know if you should mix gouramis and barbs, not entirely sure if they would be best for eachother. Personally I think discus belong in a breed only tank, and the angels wouldnt really mix with your fishies that you want =) As for numbers of fish? I have no clue what size of a 55 tall is, so ill leave that to others to determine, its a bit funky with it being tall and not wide.

leifthebunny 03-26-2007 02:49 PM

Off Topic: Scrounge is a word. :P

As for Cories, they can be ok on algae wafers. Mine subsist off the algae from the plants I got from the store as well as the algae wafers.

gmckey 03-26-2007 02:49 PM

yeah, the tank is an odd size and reg 36" lights are a tad bit small for it... but I'll try to update with pics tonight of the tanks current setup. And yeah, discus are pretty much out, just a very beautiful fish.

I'll probably add the Barbs this weekend and then cory's and kuhlis (whenever I can find them!)

musho3210 03-26-2007 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leifthebunny
Off Topic: Scrounge is a word. :P

As for Cories, they can be ok on algae wafers. Mine subsist off the algae from the plants I got from the store as well as the algae wafers.

make sure cories get some meat, they are omnivores so get some algae and some shrimp pellets.

leifthebunny 03-26-2007 05:02 PM

I feed 3 types of food at most feedings (I don't always do the algae wafers). I do flakes and micropellets and the micropellets generally fall tot he rocks to give them some snacking while they are scurrying around the gravel.