Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   do you unplug canister filter during wc?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/do-you-unplug-canister-filter-during-45307/)

Romad 06-17-2010 08:49 AM

do you unplug canister filter during wc??

hi all,

i'm a newbie with the canister filter (Rena XP3). since my water level won't be anywhere near the intake when i do a water change, is it even necessary to unplug the filter??

any advice appreciated.

Thx

JohnnyD44 06-17-2010 08:57 AM

I do'nt have any experience with the Rena brand canister, although I've heard wonderful things about them. I use a Marineland 350, and when I turn off the cansiter filter (still leaving it plugged in). Mine has quick release valves that allow me to disccount the canister housing for cleaning. So I turn the quick-disconnects to lock the water in the aquarium and then I remove the canister for cleaning.

I do'nt see any issue with leaving it on, I just don't because of my cleaning process. I do leave my other HOB filter run while i do pwc on that however.

Mr Fishy 06-17-2010 10:04 AM

I leave mine running. I either clean it before or after the water change.

Romad 06-17-2010 11:00 AM

good to know guys. i still have to read the manual on this filter and will have time to do a more detailed cleaning of everything at the end of the month.

in the meantime, i need to do a regular wc and vacuum so am glad to hear that this shouldn't be an issue.

thanks!

Byron 06-17-2010 11:42 AM

You're OK provided the water continues to run through the filter, otherwise it would run dry and that burns out the motor very fast. However, I see no reason to leave it on, and I always turn my filters and heaters off when doing a water change.

A tip I picked up elsewhere some time back: Buy yourself one of those short-cord power bars, nothing fancy (your main power bar or wall outlet is where the auto shutoff for power surges should be), and plug it into the main power bar/outlet for the tank (use one per tank). Plug the filter and heaters into this small power bar. The light will be plugged into the main power bar/outlet so it remains on with its timer. When you do a water change, just turn off the small power bar to disconnect the heaters and filter. Easy; saves unplugging all these implements.

Romad 06-17-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 406579)
You're OK provided the water continues to run through the filter, otherwise it would run dry and that burns out the motor very fast. However, I see no reason to leave it on, and I always turn my filters and heaters off when doing a water change.

A tip I picked up elsewhere some time back: Buy yourself one of those short-cord power bars, nothing fancy (your main power bar or wall outlet is where the auto shutoff for power surges should be), and plug it into the main power bar/outlet for the tank (use one per tank). Plug the filter and heaters into this small power bar. The light will be plugged into the main power bar/outlet so it remains on with its timer. When you do a water change, just turn off the small power bar to disconnect the heaters and filter. Easy; saves unplugging all these implements.

You would laugh if you saw how many power strips we have in use with the tanks. We just moved into a new home and I have the 7 betta tanks in the dining room until they get their final "spots" in the house. Each tank needs 3 plugs so you can imagine LOL.

I just wasn't sure with the canister if it was ok to leave on bc that's the one tank that we don't have rigged up with the power strip yet. I didn't have the option to leave the filter on with my HOB on the 45 gallon tall and this being my first canister, I don't want to do anything I shouldn't.

Thank you :)

Mikaila31 06-18-2010 01:04 AM

my rena xp3 need to be unpluged cuz it starts sucking air once water drops 5-6". IDK why it sucks air since the intake tube is still submerged. I've never really worried about it. I just unplug it.

bones14 06-18-2010 01:17 AM

I have the Rena XP2.Sometimes I unplug it sometimes I don't.I haven't had any problems with it either way.The water never gets below the intake so it just flows as normal.Mikaila if your filter is sucking air you may have a hole or loose connection higher up on the intake.

Romad 06-18-2010 01:44 PM

I changed out 20 gallons last night without unplugging it and it was fine. I'm loving the canister!

Next time I have to clean the hoses so that will be a whole different ballgame.

twocents 06-23-2010 01:33 PM

I have Rena xp's running on all three of my aquariums.
I have never unplugged them for a water change. The level does not get below that of the intake.

Which is a good question: those hoses are bears to put on: how do you get them off to clean them out? I had to use my keg lube to get the hoses on in the first place.