Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Crypts Dying? :( (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/crypts-dying-45279/)

Austin 06-16-2010 06:32 PM

Crypts Dying? :(

5 Attachment(s)
Hey guys I have two issues with my plants. :( I think my crypts are dying or melting or something.... the thing is I haven't done anything different to the water or moved them so I don't know whats wrong? Can anyone tell me if they are just dying or melting or what? :( And can I do anything? Sorry my camera is bad and it's hard to exactly capture it, but the stem seems to be turning brownish yellow and some leafs are dying it seems. :( This plant was doing the best out of all my plants for a while.

Attachment 13634
Attachment 13635

My next issue is this algae!!! I have no clue what it is exactly but it is EVERYWHERE! All my plants are getting it especially the ones closest to the light. I can't figure out how to help it. :/ It's really annoying and ugly. This fish tank (29g) is having so many issues with plants!! I wish I could get them all to grow nice and healthy...

Attachment 13636
Attachment 13637
Attachment 13638

Byron 06-17-2010 10:28 AM

First on the crypt, I can't really see it. Could you take a photo from further back (or not zoom in)? I'm not even sure I know which plant it is.

Second on the algae, I have this in my 90g and 115g, it is normal. When it increased, I reduced the light by one hour a day and it stopped spreading. Sometimes that balance between light (including intensity and duration) and nutrients takes a while to find, a few weeks or couple of months. And one found, it can re-shift if something is done like more or less water changes, more or less or different fertilizer, changing the light tube or the tube weakening, using a medication (esp either antibiotics or copper-based), etc. Again here, a photo of the entire tank would help me see if there is or isn't an issue. If you saw close-ups of my large sword leaves you would see much the same as yours.

Byron.

aunt kymmie 06-17-2010 10:32 AM

I don't see it either. As far as crypts, leaves aren't meant to last forever so every once in awhile an outer leaf will start to wither and die. IMO that's normal for plants.

Austin 06-17-2010 01:21 PM

Byron : I will get up a picture later today when the lights are on. :) I don't know why all my plants seem not to be doing all too well. My wisteria has died which is a shocker because i the past I had it and it did well on a non-plant light bulb. Saggitaria is still not doing too well... I ordered root tabs which I hope can help the saggitaria a bit.

Anyways it's the taller crypt in which I think I see the issue... it seems to be yellowing where the leafs come out. Not the older leaves... maybe it's my imagination.

Also, about the algae problems, I don't think it's too much light.... 20 watt (about 1000 lumens) over a 29g tank. Only run it 9 hours a day now.... I have also ordered some flourish liquid fertilizer instead of the one I currently use so maybe that will be better and help... There's quite a few fish in the tank though so I doubt it's a lack of CO2, maybe nutrients... It's comes pretty quickly on new leafs and I doubt that is normal? :/

Kymmie : It's more near the inner leafs but like I told byron maybe it's my imagination. :p

Byron 06-17-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 406634)
Byron : I will get up a picture later today when the lights are on. :) I don't know why all my plants seem not to be doing all too well. My wisteria has died which is a shocker because i the past I had it and it did well on a non-plant light bulb. Saggitaria is still not doing too well... I ordered root tabs which I hope can help the saggitaria a bit.

Anyways it's the taller crypt in which I think I see the issue... it seems to be yellowing where the leafs come out. Not the older leaves... maybe it's my imagination.

Also, about the algae problems, I don't think it's too much light.... 20 watt (about 1000 lumens) over a 29g tank. Only run it 9 hours a day now.... I have also ordered some flourish liquid fertilizer instead of the one I currently use so maybe that will be better and help... There's quite a few fish in the tank though so I doubt it's a lack of CO2, maybe nutrients... It's comes pretty quickly on new leafs and I doubt that is normal? :/

Kymmie : It's more near the inner leafs but like I told byron maybe it's my imagination. :p

Hold off on the root tabs, they are not necessary (I speak with 15+ years of experience on this), something else is off and we need to find out what--and we will:-).

What fertilizer are you using now, and how often/when?

And remind me what the light is (I know 20w, I agree, that's fine, but what is it?).

Also mention any other product going into this tank. I know your water is hard and basic, so that's covered.

Byron.

Just checked the photo, what substrate is that? Plain gravel, or an enriched plant substrate, and if so, which?

LoganLennox 06-17-2010 03:46 PM

Hi, with regards to the crypts i have a similar "melting" type of issue, they older leaves just seem to decitigrate. But it seems to be natural because theres always new growth on it. And the yellowing I see commonly in a lot of plants, house and aquarium plants alike. It is most likely too much light or over fertilizing. I wouldn't worry too much about the crypts unless you rapidly lose a lot of vegetation or something. My advice is to get rid of the algae first and then try and stabile the crypts, because if you add extra plant growth formulas it will help the algea too.

The algae issue is another thing, I would try and get a better look at the color of it, and if its actually growing on the plant or it is sort of floating. This website may help you identify it and how to get rid of it. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/plants/algae.php .

I hope this helps you :)

redchigh 06-17-2010 04:27 PM

Have you tested your prarameters lately?

My Cichlid tank got an outbreak of algae (string/hair algae) on the java moss to the point where there was more algae than moss, and it was triggered by an ammonia spike. (My livebearer tank is cleaning the moss for me as I type this- it's nearly clean. :))

Also, check your nitrates, I've heard that Crypts will melt if there's nitrates in the water (over 10-20)

I would definately double-check the light as well, how long have you had it? Maybe it's lost too much power.
(I'm sure you got the right spectrum and such, right?)

Austin 06-17-2010 07:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 406697)
Hold off on the root tabs, they are not necessary (I speak with 15+ years of experience on this), something else is off and we need to find out what--and we will:-).

What fertilizer are you using now, and how often/when?

And remind me what the light is (I know 20w, I agree, that's fine, but what is it?).

Also mention any other product going into this tank. I know your water is hard and basic, so that's covered.

Byron.

Just checked the photo, what substrate is that? Plain gravel, or an enriched plant substrate, and if so, which?

I already ordered the root tabs... might as well use them or no?

I'm using the Aqueon brand Plant fertilizer. Getting flourish soon in the mail. Honestly I've been dosing the fertilizer a bit sparingly the last 2 weeks since I was almost out and hadn't had money to afford the fertilizer yet. But now I do and should be here next week.

Lighting is 20w GE flourescent T12 tube 6500k and around 975 lumens. It's about 30 inches I think... or maybe it's 28". Whichever the standard is...

No other products except the Aquasafe dechlorinator which I've been using for forever....Only food, fertilizer, and Aquasafe on water changes...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoganLennox (Post 406722)
Hi, with regards to the crypts i have a similar "melting" type of issue, they older leaves just seem to decitigrate. But it seems to be natural because theres always new growth on it. And the yellowing I see commonly in a lot of plants, house and aquarium plants alike. It is most likely too much light or over fertilizing. I wouldn't worry too much about the crypts unless you rapidly lose a lot of vegetation or something. My advice is to get rid of the algae first and then try and stabile the crypts, because if you add extra plant growth formulas it will help the algea too.

The algae issue is another thing, I would try and get a better look at the color of it, and if its actually growing on the plant or it is sort of floating. This website may help you identify it and how to get rid of it. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/plants/algae.php .

I hope this helps you :)

Thanks for the link... had some good info, but it mentions only an algae eater or scraping it off to get it off. Any algae eaters that eat that kind of algae? The crypt leaf melting away when it dies is normal for all of mine but it seems these are more in the middle not on the outsides like normal....

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 406751)
Have you tested your prarameters lately?

My Cichlid tank got an outbreak of algae (string/hair algae) on the java moss to the point where there was more algae than moss, and it was triggered by an ammonia spike. (My livebearer tank is cleaning the moss for me as I type this- it's nearly clean. :))

Also, check your nitrates, I've heard that Crypts will melt if there's nitrates in the water (over 10-20)

I would definately double-check the light as well, how long have you had it? Maybe it's lost too much power.
(I'm sure you got the right spectrum and such, right?)

I actually haven't in a bit since things other than this seem to be running smoothly. Popping out babies, otocinclus doing well (don't think these can stand high nitrate?)

I'm pretty sure it's not an ammonia spike since, well, I haven't changed the filter or anything like that? But I'll test ammonia and nitrite later...

I do not have a nitrate test kit yet. :( I've been too cheap and haven't had a need (I know I should have one even if there's not an emergency) ... do you know how much $ these run?

The light is only 3 months old or so. Already mentioned the info in this post in my reply to byron.

Might do a 50% water change tonight either way if you think that's recommended.

----------

Attached some images of my tank full, and a better image up close at the crypt that I think has issues.

For the first image I'd like to say I'm not lazy with the stem plants I just like the look of them growing along the water surface... Second pic, it's the one in the middle left back :s dunno if you can see. The one with the thick stem.

Byron 06-17-2010 08:11 PM

I offer some general suggestions/comments from what you (Austin) have provided--only thing you didn't answer was the substrate, and I am curious if it is a nutrient plant substrate. If it is, root tabs I would not recommend, something I'll mention further on.

The light should be fine, and in 3 months the tube is not gone. T12 should be replace yearly; the T8 (smaller diameter) will last 3 years according to most authorities now, and most manufacturers are moving over to T8 from T12 because the T8 use less energy for more light.

The Aqueon liquid fert should be fine; from my research online I would say it is as good or better than Flourish, though I have not tried it (can't find it here anywhere). I don't know how much they recommend and how often; but never exceed the recommended dose on ferts. Some of the micro-nutrients are heavy metals (iron, zinc, manganese, nickel) and in excess these can kill fish and plants. I know, it would have to be quite an excess--perhaps--but why risk it?

You say sparingly on the fert for two weeks, have the plant "problems" occurred during that period? If yes, could likely be a nutrient deficiency which the increased fert when the other arrives will rectify. If not, then we press on.

How long has this tank been running? Sorry, I've forgotten from previous threads. I ask this because plants can take a few weeks to adjust to significantly different parameters, esp crypts. I'm not saying this is the issue, but it is worth remembering.

The tank photo does not indicate much of a problem anywhere to me. The related water issues (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) are possibilities, but given the number of plants you have I would not expect that to be any issue. Those plants will assimilate most of the ammonia produced by the fish and unless something major has occurred (to significantly increase the organics) this is not likely the issue.

Is the tank pH stable, and close to the tap water? A significant change in pH between the two would mean that at each water change the tank pH is adjusting and this could be sufficient to affect crypts even though the fish manage. I have lost a tank full of crypts overnight due solely to a rise in pH in the tap water than I had not expected, and a day after the water change they were mush. Yours are not "mush" though, not a true crypt meltdown, so this is not likely the issue, but once again, worth keeping in mind.

You add the Aqueon the day after the water change, yes? Aquasafe detoxifies heavy metals I think, and this would negate the micro-nutrients in the Aqueon. 24 hours should be OK.

What is the filter flow like? Some plants are not fond of being in the direct flow, crypts again; another thing to consider.

Byron.

Austin 06-17-2010 08:57 PM

Oh, sorry byron I meant to post that I accidently forgot. It's half eco-complete substrate from about 3 years ago, half regular black gravel for aquariums. My dwarf saggitaria doesn't seem to be doing all that great - algae covers leaves but they don't produce leafs quick enough and my sword plant seems a bit stagnant with growth (which I guess isn't BAD)... though root tabs may help this but idk.

Anyways thanks for all the info. It was very helpful. The PH usually remains constant but I will check it anyways in a bit and report back. I've never actually had a crypt completely turn to mush like I hear, so it is hard for me to judge what it was. But from what it sounds like the crypt didn't melt... it could still be dying though, right? But maybe it is fine... guess we'll find out?

Tanks been running a few years but recently has been revamped as I got back into the hobby. Had a stressful bit of time and only had it home a couple of platies so yea. It's been up and running maybe 5-6 months since I restarted it kind of. It's had the same filter and water so no cycling.

By sparingly, I mean, I skipped 1 week of fertilizing >_<. Thought the plants would be ok. A few days ago I fertilized after W/C a regular dose. It is hard to tell if the algae has gotten worse. I've had problems with that kind of algae (do you know the kind, or can you remind me of the link which has all the algae types?) for a while now but I can say it has gotten worse, but not sure if it was within the last week or two. Maybe a tad worse... but it has been progressively getting worse slowly for a month or two... =(

Anyways the Aqueon liquid fert seems less efficient in terms of money and everyone always seems to mention flourish being good. My 29g tank needs 29 ml of aqueon plant fertilizer. My 44g, 44ml. It's not very effecient and flourish seems way more effecient - the aqueon fert is 98.7% water or something.......................