Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (
-   -   My sump designs (

toonyace316 06-16-2010 11:47 AM

My sump designs
Which of these three designs and their details is best? The tank is a 15 High to be under my 54 Corner, the 20.25 inch side going toward the corner. Designs 1 and 2 are side views on the long side, 3 is a top view. Grey shows water flow.
The 1st design.
Second design. Layout of heater and skimmer are like the next 2 pics and design 1.
Design 3.
Refugium wall.
2 walls on entrance rectangle.
Skimmer-pump isn't the actual shape, but similar size.
Middle Bubble trap wall.
Wall bordering return.

Also, here are pages for all of the products needed. Tell me what you think. In order from overflow to return tube. More likely to get a quote on pre-cut.

bearwithfish 06-17-2010 08:08 AM

ok i like what you have drawn up the only mods i would make would be to put your rubble in the refugium and add a skimmer to the in section other wise i like number 1.... another option for ease of management would be try to put the heater in the fuge also just my opinion....

toonyace316 06-17-2010 08:34 AM

I was thinking about putting rubble in both. I guess you didn't notice, but i stated the skimmer was on the wall you said it should be in that design. It was kinda cut off. I prefer the 3rd, but thanks for your opinion. I am gonna talk to the manager that I know really well about this at my LFS.

onefish2fish 06-17-2010 11:06 AM

i wouldnt put rubble, but thats me. personally if im going to put any rock its just 1. the reason i do this is because the rubble in a slow flowing area is just as bad as having a sump full on bio balls on a saltwater tank.

the inlet on picture one, you can have this coming straight in, pref. underwater to limit splashing and noise, but you dont need a 90 on the end.

toonyace316 06-17-2010 11:11 AM

So it would be 1 in the refugium and nothing in the entrance?

onefish2fish 06-17-2010 11:26 AM

yea you dont need anything in the entrance, that is unless thats where you have to put your heater(s) or carbon/phosban reactors etc. if theres room but i wouldnt put anything in the entrance if this was my sump.
i would put the 1 piece of rock and some chaeto for your macro algae in the refugium, i wouldnt do caulerpa or any others for that matter, and prob a 6 inch sand bed in the refugium area but again thats if this was my sump.

toonyace316 06-17-2010 12:49 PM

I do have rowa that I might need to put there, but that's about it.