Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   a couple questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/couple-questions-45215/)

PrettyKitty187 06-15-2010 10:12 PM

a couple questions

I acquired a fish tank (for some reason this keeps happening O_o) but this one actually had fish in it! Two cherry somethings and a little algae eater....well...I added some plants today as well as a yellow snail (gold mystery snail?) and a loach...

now for the questions...

I've only had the tank for about a week and have been getting it back to a safe and happy environment for fish to live in (the girl I got it from started with six fish...three were lost to the cats...she thinks...and instead of ever changing the water in it...ever....or the filter she just jammed another filter down in with the old one) and I've noticed one of the cherry dudes seems to have something up with his fins...they seem sort of frayed and torn where as the other two that came with it are having no problems....so is there anything I should be concerned about? Fin rot? (I was wondering if it might have been from the artificial plants that I removed and replaced with live plants but since the other two seem in perfect fin health I dunno...)

and are loaches always that hyper? Is it normal loach behavior to spaz out and swim around like the squirrel from over the hedge? Because he's kind of scaring the algae eater by swimming into him and landing on him and various other hyper activites (at first I thought they were fighting...but after continued observation it's just a very very very active fish...and he seemed nothing like that at the store...)

so...yeah...lol :lol:

edit: and I got the algae eater whom we shall call Bill some algae tabs because she had been feeding him shrimp pellets and he does not seem that interested in it...but at the same time he seems very very hungry...is it something he just needs to get used to being around or do I need to find something else for him to nibble?

PrettyKitty187 06-15-2010 10:20 PM

oh and one other...

is there anything specific I should do with the plants? Do they need something to consume (other than light...I replaced the original bulb with one with broad range spectrum light for the plants)? Or just let them be?

aunt kymmie 06-15-2010 11:53 PM

What species algae eater? Some are strictly vegetarians, others are omnivores. It helps to know exactly what "Bill" is, before we can suggest a diet plan.
What species of loach, do you know? Most loaches prefer (and need) to be in the company of other loaches of their own kind. What you describe sounds like a stressed loach, to me. By nature they are pretty active fish but yours sounds like he's missing some buddies. What size is this tank??

PrettyKitty187 06-16-2010 08:58 PM

it's a ten gallon...umm...the loach is dark colored and about as long as my pinky finger and has whiskers...not sure what species...and the algae eater is a silver dude with a dark strip from head to tail...

eileen 06-16-2010 09:09 PM

you may loose the algae eater as they like older tanks not new tanks. The loach will eat your snail. Loaches love snails as food. If no snails are avail. they can eat any meaty food like bloodworms or flake food that has protien in it. I think you might have Red Cherry shrimps maybe. I'm not sure if the loach will eat the shrimp. Maybe someone else knows if they do or not. A 10 gal. in small for a loach as these will get about 4-5 inches depending on the type and some get even bigger when full grown. If you plan on getting a bigger tank in the future they should be ok til you get a bigger tank up and cycled.

aunt kymmie 06-17-2010 12:41 AM

Loaches LOVE inverts of any kind and will make short work of them in no time.
Do you think you could browse our fish profiles and identify exactly which loach and which algae eater you have??

zof 06-17-2010 07:23 PM

the algae eater sounds like my oto or maybe a SAE but hard to say with out a picture do either of these look like yours;

SAE

Oto

PrettyKitty187 06-20-2010 02:56 PM

looks most like the chinese algae eater...which if that's the case any one near Columbus Ga want to adopt him? from observation he seems a little more on the aggressive side as well :/

And not a new tank, he came with the tank ...I brought it from her house with the two cherry thingies (look like red goldfish) and him and did a 50% water change when I got it home and 25% water change every other day until the water was more clear than murky

and the loach (who is now called scylla) is a lot calmer...maybe he just had to adjust to the tank?

Too bad about Hermes the Snail though...I had asked the woman I bought them from tons of questions and got home and realized I asked the wrong ones lol...just gives me a reason to dig out that old tank I have and get it up and running though

should I put anything int he water to give the plants nutrients? Even though the fish are making short work of them (even though they get plenty of flakes to eat lol) I just noticed that the one with the leaves that's somewhere between red and green...red/green...is that a color? Is losing leaves quickly and I don't know if it's from bein nibbled or getting a lack of nutrients...

oh and if helps at all for the plant questions...I've been keeping the water at 80 degrees and have the light on for about 12 hours a day and it is a wide spectrum light

PrettyKitty187 06-20-2010 03:01 PM

and where are the fish profiles?

zof 06-20-2010 03:11 PM

Up at the very top of the page where it says Tropical Fish Profiles