Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Feeding Cats Fresh Raw Meat (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/other-pets/feeding-cats-fresh-raw-meat-45207/)

konstargirl 06-15-2010 09:20 PM

Feeding Cats Fresh Raw Meat

Okay. My older sister gives her cats fresh meats everyday and she weened them off commercial cat food couple of months ago. I was wondering if giving cats fresh raw meat safe?

Thanks.

P.S. can someone change the topic title into "Givng cats Fresh meats?" I misslabeled the title and totally forgot it's related to cats, not fishies..

aunt kymmie 06-16-2010 01:20 AM

My cats get fresh raw meat, fish and poultry. My dogs get fresh raw poultry, beef, meaty raw bones included. They all get raw eggs, cracked, shell and all. I'm all for raw food diets for dogs and cats. To me a diet of 100% kibble is like feeding your animals "McDonalds" day in and day out. Raw food is not for everyone but it works for me. More importantly, it works for "my kids".

TexasTanker 06-16-2010 02:24 AM

It won't harm them. There are a lot of proponents for this and I know many people who swear by it. It's really a matter of preference. It takes a while to get an animal conditioned to a raw diet and sometimes that process can be a little stressful for owners. During the "change over" cats and dogs both go through a myriad of digestive changes and it can put a lot of people off. Once they are acclimated things do firm up and all is well. Another hitch for many raw diet owners is difficulty (especially with cats) getting sitters or kennels to supply their preferred diet. If you travel a lot or even occasionally, be sure to keep that in mind ahead of schedule. Cats are notoriously finicky eaters and will starve rather than eat crusty old cat food if they are used to raw diets.

iamntbatman 06-16-2010 05:25 AM

Unlike dogs, which have a digestive system designed to handle a decent amount of non-meat foods (fruits, nuts, etc.) cats are pretty much pure carnivores. Therefore, it's pretty much worse to be feeding your cat commercial pet foods that are full of grains and stuff than it is for your dogs, whose stomachs can handle the carbs better. In other words, I think a raw meat diet would likely be really beneficial for cats.

konstargirl 06-17-2010 10:52 PM

Yeah. My older sister just gave him dinner today. :P He had raw eggs. :D

bones14 06-18-2010 12:31 AM

Domesticated cats and dogs still keep many of their wild traits and genes.Raw food if natural for them even if it takes them a little time to get used to it "again".

aunt kymmie 06-18-2010 12:41 AM

Another benefit to going raw, parden the poop talk that's about to follow...
The amount of poop I have to pick up from the yard everyday is half the size of what most dogs put out on standard diets, there's no foul smell and it's easy to scoop up as it's always totally firm. Same goes for the litter boxes. I think the bulk of their food is actually being used up by their bodies since the waste is minimal. I babysit a few of my friend's dogs (who are on kibble only diets) and what they leave in my yard is nasty. Sorry, end of poop talk. :lol:

TexasTanker 06-18-2010 08:35 PM

LOL, my dog didn't do well on raw. He's a working dog and during full training mode the nutrients and calories in raw just didn't cut it. During peak periods we try to keep him at around 110 pounds, and off peak around 100. When he switched to raw he dropped to 85 pounds and couldn't complete any of the runs or tracks he used to do daily. After talking with his vet we went back to his high quality dog food diet but we do supplement with raw foods during off peak times. He's a lab and will eat absolutely anything.... except dog treats, liver, or carrots. It took six months to get him back up to weight and he had to take a full on lazy couch potato hiatus from his eight mile runs and swims. I nearly killed him cause he was so far up my butt about it. But Kym is correct. He eats a hi calorie diet double the recommended amount, and poops like an elephant. On raw it was much less work cleaning up after him. :)

konstargirl 06-19-2010 11:16 AM

Aww! Meat is good for dogs a cats anyway. Thats what they eat in the wild, not carrots.

redchigh 06-19-2010 12:58 PM

Um, I hate to say this...

Cats are omnivores...

True, they never eat nuts berries etc, but next time you're watching animal planet, pay attention. They eat the stomachs of their prey first- including it's contents.

They get their vegetable matter that way.
Also, do you let them eat some of the bones?

I know, it's a huge no-no, but believe it or not, that's how they get their calcium in the wild.

Seems if you're going to go natural, you might as well go all the way instead of feeding actual "meat" and having to add supplements for the rest. :)

I'm willing to bet she exagerattes a bit, but here's a link I found..
http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood...rs_of_Dry_Food