Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Sick Betta (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/sick-betta-452/)

fishyfan 09-12-2006 09:20 AM

Sick Betta

My betta, whom I've had for over a year and a half, has been laying at the bottom of the tank for 2 days now with very labored breathing. I isolated him to a five gallon tank, but he isn't perking up. His coloring appears pale, as he is normally brilliant red, but other than that he doesn't have anything visibly wrong with him. He also isn't eating, not even his favorite bloodworm dinner. Is this just nature taking its course or is there something I can do for him?

Lupin 09-12-2006 09:30 AM

Hi Fishyfan.
Sorry to hear about your fish's health condition.:(
What are your water stats in the 20 gallons and 5 gallons?
It will help us know what is happening with your betta.
Hope your fish will be able to recover.:)

crazie.eddie 09-12-2006 09:30 AM

(Message deleted by poster)

fishyfan 09-12-2006 03:12 PM

My water stats in the 20 gallon are 0 nitrite 0 ammonia and it had about 20 nitrate before I did the water change. I always use stress coat with the water change. With the five gallon I put about half the water from the 20 gallon and half "fresh" water and used stress coat again...my poor fishy! :(

Lupin 09-12-2006 05:42 PM

Nothing wrong with that. Your betta is dying due to old age as Eddie previously mentioned. You said you kept him for a year and a half already which is already very long for bettas to survive considering they are not hardy these days.
The only way is to end his misery by euthanization.
Sorry to hear about your betta's condition.:(

fishyfan 09-12-2006 11:05 PM

Well now that he's isolated he ate dinner tonight...yay, but overall I can't say he's improved a lot. I think I'll give him a few days...I'm attached obviously...what is the best way to euthanize? I've read putting them in a cup /w baking soda or freezing them...if it comes to that any suggestions?

Lupin 09-12-2006 11:09 PM

Here are some ways I know of besides what you mentioned: :)
1. Place the fish in a cup of water and put the cup inside the freezer. The fish will slowly die.
2. Clove oil or alcohol. Place the fish inside a small container with either of the two substances.
3. Strike the fish on its spine(just above the head) with a sharp knife. You have to do it quickly to prevent struggles.(It also works on fish that are very large in size.)

I used the 2nd method before(using alcohol) and the fish didn't struggle.

girlofgod 09-14-2006 03:45 PM

those methods seem cruel and heartless to me...isn't there a way that is painless? i mean, come on...cutting its back open with a knife?

girlofgod 09-14-2006 03:46 PM

those methods seem cruel and heartless to me...isn't there a way that is painless? i mean, come on...cutting its back open with a knife?

trreherd 09-14-2006 04:31 PM

if you freeze him his heart rate would slowely drop and his body would slowely shut down.i dought it would be as painfull as it would humans